Deep Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FIXXERVI6

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm a newbie, have NO interest in deep air, but I am curious about something.

What happens to the partial pressure of oxygen at depths like 500 feet?

I saw were some crazy dude set some record on air to 512 feet, thats insane, would narcosis be nuts at that depth or what!

I only have OW so I don't know that much about partial pressures at deep depths and stuff, but how ddep could you go on air before Partial pressure problems develop? if ever

FIXXERVI6 once bubbled...
I only have OW so I don't know that much about partial pressures at deep depths and stuff, but how ddep could you go on air before Partial pressure problems develop?

The overriding opinion is that you keep your PpO2 under 1.6 ATA; so on air that is a max of 218 feet.

Before you ask your next question, let me point out the answer....

... not everyone dies when playing russian roulette.

Is that 500 feet in the ocean, fresh water, at altitude?
If salt water 500ft/33fsw+1x.21 = 3.39 pp O2. Basic OW Dalton's Law.

wow, so, like that one guy who teaches deep air to 240 feet... wonder how many sign up's he gets... his insurance must be hell.

I have three distinct classifications of "Deep Air."
100-130' - In this range I require a redundant air supply and a detailed plan - and a specific reason to go there.
130'- 218' - This is technical diving, best done on trimix. The only reason to use air in this range is because trimix isn't available. These dives require detailed planning, both for gas and for tasks. Especially in the over 150' range the air dive plan must be simple, limited in objective and rigid in protocol. It must be "pre-dived" by the team to the point it is rote during the actual dive, and abort criterea must be tight and conservative.
over 218' - I do not go there on air.
Rick

I'm a newbie, have NO interest in deep air, but I am curious about something.

I saw were some crazy dude set some record on air to 512 feet, thats insane, would narcosis be nuts at that depth or what!

I only have OW so I don't know that much about partial pressures at deep depths and stuff, but how ddep could you go on air before Partial pressure problems develop? if ever

It's perfectly obvious that the people doing these kinds of dives can only be described as howling kamikazies

I read a story written by (or about) a guy who did 500ft+ dive once. He said that he was so narced that the flapping of the tab from the drysuit zipper was distracting him.... :wacko:

It wasn't described very well in the article but from what I gathered I think he used skip breathing to keep the ppr02 down (the longer you hold your breath the lower the O2 content gets). Something along those lines. Even at that he had a seizure but managed to get over it and finish the dive. :eek: :boom: :boom:

To answer your question, the official reading is that the 40metre boundary isn't arbitrary and you should stick to it. In terms of PPR02 you're ok to something like 65 metres but you'll be as narced as a drunken monkey before you get that far.

R..

wow, so, like that one guy who teaches deep air to 240 feet... wonder how many sign up's he gets... his insurance must be hell.

I'm sure he gets a lot of students...his minor celebrity seems to attract people...

I'm guessing your talking about Watts...I've met him before, nice guy but he can keep his deep air class...

Back
Top Bottom