Tips for achieving neutral bouyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h3o

Reaction score
I'm relatively new to diving, compared to most people here. I only have about 40 dives logged (guam, yap, costa rica, monterey). Other divers have told me I have good bouyancy control for a newbie though. Any general tips for bouyancy control from the more experienced of you?

Relax. Feel the force. Ooooohhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Honest.

:D

Be mindful of your BC, young Jedi...

Add gas to your wing as you descend, you should. Vent gas on the ascent, you must.

I haven't perfected my boyancy to the level I would like but I would sug to practice in a pool of shallow water, Say less than 10' or so. Get real comfortable controlling it with those shallow depths because this is where it's the hardest. If you can control it there then you shouldn't have any problems at depth.

GeekDiver once bubbled...
I haven't perfected my boyancy to the level I would like but I would sug to practice in a pool of shallow water, Say less than 10' or so. Get real comfortable controlling it with those shallow depths because this is where it's the hardest. If you can control it there then you shouldn't have any problems at depth.

I am just quoting GeekDiver....I agree 100% with his statement....

-Add air to the BC in small bursts...see what happens before adding more.

-Adding air to the BC is just for "general bouyancy". You fine tune it with your lungs. (How you breath)

-Stay horizontal always. More surface area...less dramatic bouyancy changes.

-Get a good BC. Appropriate amount of lift, properly designed.

-Get your weighting worked out. Only carry what you really need.

-Having a Backplate to put some of the weight higher up on your body helps.

-Practice, Practice, Practice!!!

they said. Reinforcing what Electric Zombie said---get your weighting right; this will make it all much easier.

Remember that bouyancy changes take time.

You need to anticipate a need to ascend/descend before you actually have to do it, that way you can make the appropriate adjustments whether it is by breathing control or with your BCD.

Also, one of the greatest ways I found to help me fine tune my bouyancy was to stop swimming. If you are truly neutral, you should glide to a stop after a moment without any significant depth changes. If you find yourself sinking when you stop swimming then you need to make some adjustments til you can just stop and hover.

O-ring once bubbled...
Add gas to your wing as you descend, you should. Vent gas on the ascent, you must.
You sound like my kind of dive buddy, young Jedi.

Back
Top Bottom