Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Mistake

NA

Has not set a "status"

Big Mistake

Okay, I was telling a friend about my mistake last weekend which could have had pretty big consequences... And it dawned on me that other people could learn from my mistake, so I think it appropriate to share.

...Even though it might not paint me in such a good light. Please be nice, y'all.

Here's what happened: I got to 91 feet on my second dive of the day, and I knew I had some 12 minutes to dive according to my plan. (I was diving air, as EANx was not available). About five minutes into my dive, my computer was telling me that I still had some 16 minutes to dive. That's when I began believing my computer instead of believing my plan. BIG mistake!

At one point, I remember thinking, "I've been down here a while," and checking my computer. It still said I had 3 minutes of dive time left, so I began an ascent from 91 feet. That should have done me nicely. Unfortunately, two minutes later at 59 feet (I was a little slow to ascend), my computer went into deco. It told me that I now had a ceiling at 10 feet. When I got to 10 feet, it now told me that I was to wait there 12 minutes for a deco stop, and an additional 3 minutes for a "standard safety stop." In other words, I now had a 15 minute deco obligation at 10 feet. Why was this a problem? Well... Because I was supposed to be doing a no-deco dive, and had planned my gas consumption accordingly. I had 600 psi in my tank and a 15 minute deco obligation. That was a little scary.

At the end of 15 minutes, I still had 200 psi left, and so I surfaced with that... But only because I put myself into "total relaxation" mode for my deco stop, in hopes that I could extend my gas consumption as long as possible. My total dive time was 38 minutes... Not at all what I'd planned for. If surface conditions had been rougher or the current stronger, I'd have had increased gas consumption, and therefore an OOG and had to blow my deco.

The problem was that I believed that computer... And it got me into trouble. Luckily, I was able to gas-manage myself out of the situation, but I thought I might have to blow my deco or at least air-share with my buddy (who certainly was low too) which was an uncomfortable thought, especially when I'd done all the correct planning. I had no one to blame but myself.

If instead I'd simply limited my second dive to 12 minutes of bottom time like I was supposed to, then this would not have happened.

...This is not meant to bash computers or whatever... I have not mentioned any brand names. And I have not mentioned the "D" word. This isn't about a dive philosophy or whatever... This is about not sticking to my plan. Stupid.

Furthermore, the computer that I have I would still recommend for it's logging features alone. But what I thought might be an interesting experiment (to "check out what it says") got me into trouble.

That's the last time I do that... :booboo:

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

[QUOTE][i]SeaJay once bubbled... [/i][B]Whe...

SeaJay once bubbled...
    When I got to 10 feet, it now told me that I was to wait there 12 minutes for a deco stop, and an additional 3 minutes for a "standard safety stop."

Hmmm sounds like a Suunto Great story about sticking to your dive plan......plan the dive, dive the plan.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

[QUOTE][i]SeaJay once bubbled... [/i][B]Thi...

SeaJay once bubbled...
    This is about not sticking to my plan. Stupid.

That's the last time I do that... :booboo:
    That sums it up nicely....BTW...dare I ask why your buddy didn't get a deco obligation, or convince you to thumb the dive earlier?
    "Beer the cause of and solution to all of life's little problems" -Homer Simpson
    Look here...I like DARTS too!!
    I'm also a swim coach now (yikes !!) Coach Tony
    Other diving Sites: DecoStop

Has not set a "status"

That was my question...

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

That sums it up nicely....BTW...dare I ask why your buddy didn't get a deco obligation, or convince you to thumb the dive earlier?
    What did your buddy's computer say?
    "I'm Warren Miller and about 50 years ago, back in 1946 when I was a senior in college, I went skiing on the second weekend in November. On Monday morning, I went back and dropped out of school. Since then, I've never looked back." - Warren Miller

Atlantic Underwater

NA

Has not set a "status"

lal7176 once bubbled...

Hmmm sounds like a Suunto
    Uhhh, yep. I mean, "no comment." Works best in gauge mode, I think.

Swims with Orca

Happy Happy Joy Joy

Photos
    CRYB

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Is this a problem....

With the Suunto. And yes we all know its a Suunto he posted what he was buying for crying out load.

Has not set a "status"

Hmm...

Blue Space once bubbled...
    With the Suunto. And yes we all know its a Suunto he posted what he was buying for crying out load.
    Being wrong, no...giving a ridiculously long deco at a ridiculously shallow depth, yes.
    "I'm Warren Miller and about 50 years ago, back in 1946 when I was a senior in college, I went skiing on the second weekend in November. On Monday morning, I went back and dropped out of school. Since then, I've never looked back." - Warren Miller

Atlantic Underwater

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos

[QUOTE][i]Blue Space once bubbled... [/i][B...

Blue Space once bubbled...
    Lucky guess on my part. Suunto is the only computer that i know of that displays a count down for a 3min safety stop.

And no i have never had a problem with my Suunto.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Rolling my eyes Buddy?

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...

Since you've taken "that one class", you KNOW full well these ?'s are coming:

1) You DID have a buddy, DIDN'T YOU????

2) Did you have your DIRF "NDL" times in your wetnotes on you?

3) What was your rock bottom for the dive?

4) What was your useable gas plan for the dive? 1/2's, 1/3's, all?
    Becki

~400 dives
    PADI: ow, aow, mfa, rescue, drysuit, nitrox, u/w naturalist, multilevel, equipment, cavern, nav.

GUE: DIR Fundamentals (workshop)

Page 1 of 25 12345611 ... LastLast