DAN "insurance"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Over on Rodales there are two threads now active regarding DAN apparently attempting to evade (or grossly delay) payment for services under their insurance.

The threads are at:

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=712796&t=712796

http://www.scubadiving.com/talk/read.php?f=1&i=712674&t=712656

Both allegations are pretty serious.

The first guy had to get lawyers involved (which I'm sure DAN didn't reimburse him for) to resolve the problem and clear his credit.

The second is claiming that DAN is interfering with treatment!

Perhaps DAN's "internal" problems with a captive, offshore for-profit go a bit "deeper" (pun intended) than just the alleged conflicts of interest with Bennett.......

As my insurance is up for renewal in a couple of months, I'm going to be asking a lot of very pointed questions before they get my money another time.

Just renewed my fees last week :upset:

Does anyone know if this is worldwide or more North-American oriented?

In regard to the first thread cited, the issue was resolved. It appears that DocVikingo got involved in that case, so maybe he can chime in on what happened. Based upon a post by Doc in the second thread, I got the impression that the problem was caused by an omitted document. Thus, the original poster's comment that he now carries a emergency room checklist.

Interfering with treatment, as claimed in the second thread, is a bit more serious. That genre of "interference" is not terribly uncommon in the insurance arena. How many of you have to call an HMO to get "pre-authorization" for treatment? I seriously dislike policies that require pre-authorization of treatment or limit treatment because I think it puts the care providers in a conflicted position between caring for the patient and caring for their bottom line. Of course, the "don't treat" order could simply be a misinterpretation of policy limits. The conversation could have been:

Hospital Admin: "We've done two treatments at $X a piece, and he needs a third treatment."

DAN: "Limits on this policy is $X, so if you do a third chamber session, we won't be paying for it."

Hospital Admin: "Ok, thanks." (Turns to staff) "Go tell the chamber techs that DAN didn't seem too thrilled about a third session and they won't pay for it."

Staff: "Hey chamber boys, DAN called. DAN doesn't want us to do a third treatment."

Chamber Boys to "the guy": "DAN sucks. They interfere with our treatments. We've had people who needed third treatments, but DAN wouldn't let us to do it."

It's the telephone game we all played as kids. Given that "a lawyer made [DAN] pay," it sounds more like a misinterpreation of coverage and policy limits.

Just so we're clear, though, insurance companies are the Debbil. They're a necessary evil in a risk-averse world, though. And I really hate "offshore insurers." I've had to chase an "offshore insurance company" on a performance bond issue a few years back. It was a shell game. I still cringe every time I see an insurance company address in the Caribbean.

I think Genesis is right, though, that we should all ask some pointed questions and (groan) read the policy before turning over money.

HERE is a chart showing several dive insurance providers and the coverage/policy limits on the various policies. You'll need the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the file.

Keep in mind that the policies cited in the document are recreational diving policies in most cases. Frankly, the policies offered by Vincencia & Buckley are pretty attractive.

At the present time the totality of "the problem" is 2 posters with disgruntlements, only one of whom has had direct experience with making a DAN claim.

This insured, in whose case I interceded, did not properly complete all paperwork, and was somewhat confused about the process & her obligations in obtaining payment.

The other poster has presented absolutely unsubstantiated allegations reportedly related to him by "chamber staff" from somewhere, and "a friend" & "a guy," both of who seemingly sustained a Type II DCS hit.

IMHO, this does not constitute proof, or even mild suspicion, of widespread evasion or delay in payments owed by DAN.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Correct me if I'm wrong: the only alternative to DAN in Europe is PADI (from Dive Master onwards on top of that), and it doesn't make much sense to be insured under your own boss, or does it?

I'm preparing my IE which will be in exactly one month: I'm a pro, not just a recreational diver, any inputs?

...and would do it again in a heartbeat. That Genesis is recommending otherwise only furthers my resolve to stick with DAN for all my diving insurance needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom