Air Conservation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I am very comfortable diving, but was wondering, what is the best way to conserve air, I see people last so much longer than me, and have been wondering how they do it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Relax, take deep slow breaths from the belly, and your heart rate and respiration rate will slow in response. Kind of the opposite to panic (we've all seen panickers burn through a phenomenal amount of gas in very little time with that fast shallow breathing they do)

Also, when you're not able to be diving, do aerobic exercise - bike, walk, run, play outdoor sports (golf does not count) etc. As your fitness level improves your body will become more efficient at using air and require slightly less to do the same tasks.

And dive yer butt off! The more you dive the better your consumption rate will be.

Dave

I found a technique that's worked wonders for my air consumption. I breath in for 5 seconds, then out for 10. It takes some time getting used to breathing only 4 times a minuter, but after a while, it feels normal and comfortable.

Do the laps and you will see your breathing patterns change and your stamina increase dramatically. THAT is the best way to reduce your SAC. There is no other way to do it that does not increase CO2 in your system with the resultant headaches, etc.

I totally agree with all the posts, but sometimes some people are just air hogs..... myself included:)

Even those of us who have big lungs can reduce our air consumption. It takes a combination of everything mentioned already. It starts with a good exercise program (aerobic Not anaerobic). You need to be comfortable in the water. when you get to your desired depth, stop, relax and get your breathing under control before starting your dive. while diving remember it is not a race, go slow and enjoy the underwater environment. You need to adopt a breathing pattern that works for you(caution: as mentioned before breath hold diving increases co2 retention as well as increases the risk of overexpansion injuries). The 5 in 10 out works good if you can adapt to it. another caution: when you try to alter your breathing under water make sure you dive with a competant buddy and he knows what your doing. changing your breathing pattern may lead to other symptoms like dizziness. and the last factor I would like to mention is diet. Eat healthy, stay away from the carbonated beverages and drink lots of water. dive as often as possible as experience should lead to greater comfort in the water. be safe and good luck.

PaulB once bubbled...
I found a technique that's worked wonders for my air consumption. I breath in for 5 seconds, then out for 10. It takes some time getting used to breathing only 4 times a minuter, but after a while, it feels normal and comfortable.

I've been working on this for the past 5 minutes or so, and I like it. It is kinda weird at first but after a few breathes it almost seems normal.

5 in and then 10 out is a form of skip breathing. Really. It has been offered by cavers for a long, long time. It will result in tension, and I know of one case where the air starvation has resulted in an elevated anxiety in the diver. He now feels that he can not get enough air from his reg to keep up.

Get in shape (but not the round shape)
Get comfortable
Take it slow... it’s a big ocean and you probably aren't going to see it all in one dive.
Breath slightly deeper and slower... but let your body's need determine the tempo.

CO2 in the lungs triggers your need to breathe. Hyperventilating (too much) or hypoventilating (too little) will impair your lungs ability to monitor this gas. Too much or too little causes the brain to ignore the signal. Don't do it! Let your body have all of the oxygen it desires to keep your self free from factors that may predispose you to DCS, etc.

I actually found that my air consumption has improved since I bought my camera. Looking for a good shot forces you to slow down and take your time....instead of frantically racing to see what may be around the next corner....a nice unintended side-effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom