Descartes was a fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arnaud

Contributor
Reaction score
I love diving. I always want to learn more and improve my skills. Scubaboard helps a lot, not necessarily in affording the kind of detailed knowledge that you'd find in a book, but in raising issues or asking the questions that makes you want to research a subject matter more.

Besides, I've never subscribed to the remove-the-cover-place-tray-in-microwave-heat-up-and-eat-it philosophy. Anyone who will make a sound argument to question a belief is welcome as far as I am concerned. Whether I choose to agree or not is virtually irrelevant. What matters is gathering and weighing in all the elements to form an opinion and reach a conclusion. And if new elements are found along the road, or just as time goes by, the opinion will have to be reconsidered again. Methodical doubt is good!

However, improving knowledge and skills does not happen over night. As unfortunate as this may be, most of us have to work to make a living. We also have to spend time with our family. So reading, practicing and taking courses are all part of a very long and winding road. In the DIR-F book, one of the great advices that JJ gives is that furthering your instruction is a good thing, but it's also important to balance that attitude with a lot of personal diving (i.e., not as a student or an instructor). That takes time, too. All my Saturdays and one Sunday in the month are dedicated to diving. That's all the time that I have.

So at this point, I am, for lack of a better word, a recreational diver. The next instructional steps for me are DM and taking a DIR-F course in the fall. As a recreational diver, and a happy one, I use a computer and know how to use the tables (actually using the table is a completely different issue). Should I do things differently? Maybe. I like some of the arguments that I have read. But right now, I don't know any better because I have not been trained for anything else.

I do have a few personal rules. I avoid going deeper than 65 fsw. I usually never dive more than 3 tanks a day, with at least a 90 minute SI. If I dive a fourth tank, it'll be reserved for a very shallow and quiet night dive. I'll use EAN32 whenever available. And since I'm mostly diving the So Cal reefs, my dive profiles are sort of V shaped. I'll sink to my max depth and will start a long and very slow ascent along the reef, enjoying the great marine life we're privileged to have in this part of the world. I'm always back on the boat with at least 750psi and have never come remotely close to the NDL shown by the computer. I know there is nothing impressive in what I do, but impressing the crowd is not my goal here. I also know that some of you would find this kind of diving very boring. I don't. And until I acquire the knowledge and gain more experience, how could I possibly do things differently?

So where's the part about Descartes being a fish? I feel cheated....

That was a joke. The answer is in the initial post, though...

Arnaud once bubbled...
So at this point, I am, for lack of a better word, a recreational diver. The next instructional steps for me are DM and taking a DIR-F course in the fall. As a recreational diver, and a happy one, I use a computer and know how to use the tables (actually using the table is a completely different issue). Should I do things differently?

Should you do things differently? Yes, you should. You should NOT become a divemaster. Fact is, you're not up to it. DMs are considered to be, even if they're not, expererienced divers with an overall knowledge of diving and experience in same. You clearly aren't there with your 65' puppy dives.

You should go "Master SCUBA Diver" (PADI of course) instead. That way you have a fancy card to show (some folks will even believe it means something) but yet you aren't in any danger of being responsible for anyone else or of passing on your ideas of what what diving should be.

Maybe you and DiverBuoy can be buddies?

WW

Hey WW,

Why so grumpy?

No need to jump down anyones throat...

Just say you think Arnaud needs lots more experiance before thinking about becoming a DM.

I have to agree with that opinion.

To be a DM you need lots of experience beyond basic openwater skills. From my read of the post above, that's basicaly all the skills being currently used and/or practiced.

As for the Master Diver card, I happen to have one... I only got it for the fun of having it. If I had had to pay any more than PADIs fees for it (probably too much for the piece of plastic anyway) I wouldn't have bothered.

I get to have fun flashing it at non-divers and seeing their eyes get big: "You do that?" "How deep do you dive?"

Usualy, it stays way in the back of my logbook with the underwater basketweaving card so I won't accidentaly show it to other divers :rolleyes:

I tried to make the point that you don't become an experienced and knowledgeable diver overnight. I was interested in discussing how you are supposed to dive until you reach the level of some of the respected members on this board.

I now realize that the good divers were born just born like that, with doubles in their back (must have been painful for their mother) and I was not.

Arnaud once bubbled...
I was interested in discussing how you are supposed to dive until you reach the level of some of the respected members on this board.
I have an AOW card, so I guess that makes me an entry level diver.

I don't think much about getting there, I just enjoy the ride.
in other words, it's not the destination, but the journey. That, grasshopper, is the key. :japanese:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom