I think I met a dir padi instructor today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

double125's

Reaction score
After surfacing from my dive today I got the the typical lecture of how I am going to die because I did not have a buddy. The guy tried to threaten me with rules and regs then told me if I was his student he would have wrote to my certifying agency and had me decertified. Then he proceeded to tell me he was looking after my safety but dive solo if I like because he didn't care if i died or not (talk about an oximoron(spelling?)). I am aware everyone is entitled to an opinion but I am tired of people threatening me on the shore. He is assuming that because I dive solo I am incompitant and cant take care myself. I have over 50 hours underwater with no buddy and have not had anything close to resembling a problem. I guess only time will tell if my lack of buddies is going to kill me.
BTW the dive today was only 28 min because there was good amount of wind causing vis to be less than 5 ft if you stayed less than 30 ft. below 30 ft you couldn't see the bottom if your mask was touching it. I saw a 20 lb carp in the shallows and a couple large bass (one over 10lbs) otherwise uneventful. The water temp was 73 and probably somewhere around 68 - 70 at depth. max depth was 44 ft. dive site was lake amistad in del rio, tx.

I don't solo dive, and I don't know if I ever will; however, if you want to, go ahead, I'll even try to save you if I see you are in trouble. I think that solo diving is a personal choice and the guys who yell at you for it really need to get a life, I have better things to do than reprimand a stranger because he is doing something that I'm not.

maybe next time: tell him you aren't solo diving, you have a hamster in you pocket.

I think it’s funny that you think he was DIR just because he got on you about diving solo. Diving solo is a bad practice no matter what training agency. I don't think any of them promote solo diving and I think most tell you not to, and there are a lot of good reasons for it.

Wyno once bubbled...
I think it’s funny that you think he was DIR just because he got on you about diving solo. Diving solo is a bad practice no matter what training agency. I don't think any of them promote solo diving and I think most tell you not to, and there are a lot of good reasons for it.

SDI.

Wyno once bubbled...

Actually there is a agency that teaches a solo diving course. I cant think of the name of the agency right off hand.

How to get regulated:

Drive half way to the dive site on a motorcycle and don't wear a helmet.
Drive the other half in your car and don't wear your seat belt.
Make your dive solo.
Don't use a computer or make a safty stop.
When you're done, have cigaretts and Oreo cookies for lunch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom