What makes a great diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Monkey_Gland

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
What qualities mark someone out as a "good" diver?

What should we aspire to? Who should we look up to ?

:popcorn:....i think that i am going to watch this thread...it will be interesting to see the responses....

If you signal to your buddy "how much gas do you have left" and he/she answers without having to check his/her gauge, that's one sign of a good diver.

-Bryan

Good planning and preparation.

Good buoyancy control.

Keeps practicing so skills don't get rusty.

Keeps trying to learn.

For me there are two aspects to it: Mindset, and ability.

I will dive with anyone if they have the right mindset. You need to know your limitations, and have enough integrity to stick to those rules and limits you set for yourself, even if it costs you money, or a dive. I don't like diving with people who are trying to impress others, or to make themselves feel good about what they can get away with. Now that I have a little more experience, I can see how silly they look.

As for ability...I spent my OW class learning buoyancy, trim and propulsion. In time I also leaned to pay more attention to my surroundings. Around 100 dives, I started really focusing on improving my buoyancy, trim and propulsion, and during my recent trimix class, the most important skills were maintaining my buoyancy, trim and propulsion while being task loaded. That's pretty much how I asses a diver's ability is by their buoyancy, trim, and propulsion, but the mindset is still the most important thing. You can improve your abilities, but it is a rare person who can change their mindset.

Tom

My regular buddy is a good diver.

- He's often available
- He's *really* solid under water
- He's the kind of guy who solves problems instead of getting overwhelmed by them
- He understands me so well that we hardly have to sign to each other under water. I can sign to turn a dive by giving him "the look" and moving my finger 3 cm, for example.
- He's a friend, under water and above water. I'd say that someone who is a good diver is someone you get along with both under water but also (and maybe more importantly) during the surface interval
- His skills, interests, and aptitudes are a good match for my own.
- He dives his plan but shows the creativity to deviate from that within responsible margins (a good match for me). I wouldn't want a buddy who was so stuck on following the plan that the plan was in control of our dive.... YMMV.

Generally, I would say that what makes a great diver is someone whose competences are suited to the situation and whose personality is a good match for his buddy.

R..

My regular buddy is a good diver.

- He's often available
- He's *really* solid under water
- He's the kind of guy who solves problems instead of getting overwhelmed by them
- He understands me so well that we hardly have to sign to each other under water. I can sign to turn a dive by giving him "the look" and moving my finger 3 cm, for example.
- He's a friend, under water and above water. I'd say that someone who is a good diver is someone you get along with both under water but also (and maybe more importantly) during the surface interval
- His skills, interests, and aptitudes are a good match for my own.
- He dives his plan but shows the creativity to deviate from that within responsible margins (a good match for me). I wouldn't want a buddy who was so stuck on following the plan that the plan was in control of our dive.... YMMV.

Generally, I would say that what makes a great diver is someone whose competences are suited to the situation and whose personality is a good match for his buddy.

R..

This list is pretty hard to beat and pretty well sums up my regular dive buddy as well.

What qualities mark someone out as a "good" diver?

What should we aspire to? Who should we look up to ?

Good diver: comfort in the water and intelligence.

Great diver: a totally different ballpark that I know little about.

It's not rocket science that's for sure! I'd say someone that you like hanging out with who is in control of their dive (buoyancy, kicking, gas supply, time limits,navigation, buddy skills, and dive planning).

Beats me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom