Staying hydrated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulB

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it was here on Scuba Board that I read a post about staying hydrated while underwater. I know the importance of being well hydrated before hand and afterwards.
Someone on here suggested that you can slip a camel back or similar water pack between your back and bc and put the bit valve over your shoulder so that you can remove your regulator and get a drink when needed. I think that's a good idea but was wondering if anyone has actually done it because I'm seriously condsidering it. My mouth gets awefully dry down there.

PaulB once bubbled...
I think it was here on Scuba Board that I read a post about staying hydrated while underwater. I know the importance of being well hydrated before hand and afterwards.
Someone on here suggested that you can slip a camel back or similar water pack between your back and bc and put the bit valve over your shoulder so that you can remove your regulator and get a drink when needed. I think that's a good idea but was wondering if anyone has actually done it because I'm seriously condsidering it. My mouth gets awefully dry down there.

I have had problems where my throat gets so dry that it's hard to exhale through my mouth instead of my nose on dives greater than 45 minutes.

I think I'm going to start carrying a small bottle of water with a sports cap in my drysuit pocket and see how it goes.

I have a camelback but that seems way too excessive. I don't think there will be any problems with the water bottle.

Ever hear of SCUDA?

Marc

jonnythan once bubbled...
I think I'm going to start carrying a small bottle of water with a sports cap in my drysuit pocket and see how it goes.
I don't think there will be any problems with the water bottle.

What's wrong with the old rinse-and-spit. I find that just sucking in a mouthful of saltwater, swishing it around and maybe gargling a bit gets rid of the dry mouth problem.

With a water bottle it is difficult to drink more than about 1/3 or 1/2 of the bottle before getting salt water into it. There is a technique if squishing the bottle to get a mouthful, holding the bottle squished while swallowing the water, then blowing air back into the bottle while letting it expand; but it's kind of tricky.

If you really must drink something, then try those little juice boxes, or even better, those foil packets of juice. Those will collapse as you drink, and won't suck back in salt water like the plastic water bottle will.

Rinse and spit is a lot easier, doesn't require any gear, and is always available.

Charlie

Pretty cool. Looks like the same thing as a camel back. Looks like I wont have to worry about a dry mouth anymore :D

Charlie99 once bubbled...

What's wrong with the old rinse-and-spit. I find that just sucking in a mouthful of saltwater, swishing it around and maybe gargling a bit gets rid of the dry mouth problem.

With a water bottle it is difficult to drink more than about 1/3 or 1/2 of the bottle before getting salt water into it. There is a technique if squishing the bottle to get a mouthful, holding the bottle squished while swallowing the water, then blowing air back into the bottle while letting it expand; but it's kind of tricky.

If you really must drink something, then try those little juice boxes, or even better, those foil packets of juice. Those will collapse as you drink, and won't suck back in salt water like the plastic water bottle will.

Rinse and spit is a lot easier, doesn't require any gear, and is always available.

Charlie

Well, for starters, I rarely dive salt water. Second, I've done that a few times. In lakes and rivers.

That's pretty sketchy if you ask me :wink:

I'd like to have some fresh water to drink instead of gulping from the Hudson or Lake George (which I have done *hides*).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom