PADI card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tmeketa

Registered
Reaction score
I lost my card 15 years ago, and know I can try to replace it via the PADI web site.
My question is do I need it to rent/dive in Coz Mex?
I went a couple of places in the crib and an island named Devils Island off Puerto Rico and no one cared?
I was thinking of a refresher course once I arrived anyway.
I had an advanced open water cert way back when 1985.
Tom
I wana get wet!

I mean what if you got there and someone did require it? Go to the PADI site, they have the form you can print out and mail in to get your card. It cost 25 skins to get a replacement card and they have a 10 dollar 48 hour express option that should get it to you quicker if time is a factor.

here is the link to the PADI page where you can download the form

http://www.padi.com/courses/lost/americas.asp

Yes, you will need a C-card to dive in Mexico. AAMOF, you will need it to dive just about anywhere.

I *strongly* suggest you take a refresher course and get re-certified! You've dove... what... all of TWICE in the past 15 years?

BTW, I doubt PADI will be able to get you a new card after 15 years. Legally, they only have to keep student info on file for 7 years from the last date of actvity.

Call PADI at (800) 729-7234 for more information.

~SubMariner~

Do you think they will still have my info?
I didn't mean I wanted to get away with anything.
I guess also I was curious what people do that have never been diving and want to go after they arrive in Coz.
Can I just RE course? new?

Hey I just got subs reply.
Thats kinda what I meant.
Thanks

tmeketa,

A lot has changed in 15 years--especially in the equipment area. Lots of places will take you on as a single student--costs more--and you can get recerted in a week. But you have to spend the whole week...not a bad vacation!

You can even do in Cozumel!

Joewr

HI Tom,

I did a little looking around for you and got my hands on the form you would have to fill out for your replacement card.

In order to replace the card, they require you to provide your original certification number, the name of the instructor and the instructor's certification number, the name of the dive center where you were certified and other assorted personal information.

Unfortunately, considering that you were certified before 1985, even if you can provide all of that information, you probably will not receive a replacement card. We get a lot of inquiries from people looking for help in replacing their cards and I have yet to hear of anyone who has successfully received a replacement.

And, according to their website, to even do a refresher course, you must be able to show that you are either a certified diver (need the card for that) or a student currently enrolled in a training course.

I am not saying it isn't worth a try, but I wouldn't count on seeing any positive results. If you are anywhere near the shop where you were originally certified, they might be able to help in the process, but like Sub said, your best bet will be to call PADI customer service and explain the situation. You might get lucky.

Good luck to you.

Hey, try the ol' form that PADI offers. I don't know if they'll be able to help you after 15 years. However, they still have my card on file from 13 years ago (open water). Once that is accomplished, get into a refresher course and sign up for a Rescue class. Refresh your memory on skills then build some new ones. It's a great way to get back into diving.

Have fun in Cozzy :)

If they are still around, it might be worth a call to the original dive shop that certified you. Some actually keep student records as well. I know the one I got certified by does, they had changed agencies (PADI to SSI) and still had my original forms, dusty but original.

Hey everybody:
Thanks for all the input.
This is a great forum and you all have helped renew my excitement!
I did my original cert at a local college and they might have some of my old info.
I will start with PADI but I kinda like the idea of doing it in Coz.
It would give me a safe approach to it and fill in my activity schedule.
I do have my original manual and dive charts etc to review prior to going.
That way I can have a nice relaxing "dias feriados" and get back up to speed.

Back
Top Bottom