NASE Certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FLHOG

Reaction score
I am going to Belize next month on my honeymoon and I just realized that my fiance's certification is NASE. I am not familiar with this certification and am worried that it might not be recognized by dive shops there. I am staying on Caye Caulker and will use the dive shops in that area.

Any info would be a big help.

Thanks!

a_l_watts@yahoo.com

NASE is 21 yrs old and widely recognized, even though not very big (and recently changed names to WASI/NASE). If you have any doubts at all why not call or email the shop in Belize just to put your mind at ease.
Or you can take your checkbook and her C Card down to your LDS and order a card from another agency - most of 'em accept NASE.
E. itajara

Epinephelus once bubbled...
Or you can take your checkbook and her C Card down to your LDS and order a card from another agency - most of 'em accept NASE.
E. itajara

Really? So you're saying that I can take my SSI C-card to my local PADI DS and for a fee they'll issue me a PADI c-card? Or the same with NAUI?
If true, I did not know this...

I don't know if it's still true, but PADI used to have an "experienced diver" program. They would issue a c-card if you could show evidence of diving experience. Producing a c-card from another agency would serve as evidence of experience. I'm not aware that other agencies have ever had similar programs. YMCA will issue a c-card to US military trained divers if they present a copy of their training record.

With SSI, for example, a C-card from another agency, current diving experience, the recommendation of the SSI dealer and the fee (I think it's about $25 but don't quote me on that) will get you an SSI C-card. So it's not quite "just the card and the money" - but if you're a real diver then it's no problem.
E. itajara

I'm a NASE instructor. I've been with this agency over 4 years now and quite happy with NASE. Prior to NASE I was PADI and before that NASDS (now merged with SSI).

As an independent instructor they are very accomodating. On one occasion I had a "quite well to do" student who needed certification in less than 5 days. He was heading for Tahiti. I Emailed his pic to NASE, they processed and shipped the card out overnight express and he had the card in time for Tahiti.

I have taught over 200 students with this agency and none of them have reported any questions on acceptance of the card in several states and overseas.

Our director has told that we are instructors teaching quality education...not salespersons. I seriously doubt that PADI or SSI management would say that

Joe

There is no reason that it should not be recognized in Belize.

Go & have fun.

DocVikingo

Walter once bubbled...
I don't know if it's still true, but PADI used to have an "experienced diver" program. They would issue a c-card if you could show evidence of diving experience. Producing a c-card from another agency would serve as evidence of experience. I'm not aware that other agencies have ever had similar programs. YMCA will issue a c-card to US military trained divers if they present a copy of their training record.

It's not a cash for card thing.

My first point of emphasis: This is intended for those exceptional cases where a person gains considerable scuba diving experience without having a recreational c-card. Commonly this is when an old certification card is lost and no record of the certification can be found, or a diver has military experience.

Now, to quote the manual:
The Experienced Diver
The purpose of the Experienced Diver program is to allow you to certify divers
who are not certified, but who can provide proof of scuba experience, or to
certify divers certified by training organizations other than PADI as PADI Open
Water Divers.
Course Prerequisites
Any diver with a scuba certification from a training organization
other than PADI may enroll for Experienced Diver certification.
In
most instances, a continuing education course may better meet the diver’s needs.
OR
Any diver who has been diving for a minimum of two years and has
proof of 20 or more open water dives, and who has never taken a
scuba course, may apply for an Experienced Diver certification.

You may accept properly logged dives or military qualification as proof of
experience. Other acceptable proof of dive experience includes a statement
witnessed by a certified diver.
Use this certification carefully and with discretion. As the certifying instructor,
you are responsible for the diver’s qualification.
Procedures for the Experienced-Diver Certification
To earn the PADI Open Water Diver certification, the Experienced
Diver must satisfactorily complete the PADI Scuba Review program,
PADI Open Water Diver Course Final Exam, and Open Water Dives 1
through 4 as outlined.
You may allow applicants to meet these requirements
by participating in the final phase of a regular Open Water Diver course.
done quoting now

NASE certification should be no problem. It is a widely recognized program. If she really wants a card from another agency, suggest she consider taking an additional course such as a AOW or Nitrox. The NASE OW cert should be adequate prerequisite.

Experienced Diver certification also. Its very similar to what Drew has laid out about the PADI Experienced Diver course.

I'm doing one of these certs this summer.

Drew,

Maybe I missed something, but I don't remember saying it was a "cash for card thing."

I said, "They would issue a c-card if you could show evidence of diving experience."

How does that differ from, "The purpose of the Experienced Diver program is to allow you to certify divers who are not certified, but who can provide proof of scuba experience,"?

"Producing a c-card from another agency would serve as evidence of experience."

Seems to fit right in with, "The purpose of the Experienced Diver program is to ...........certify divers certified by training organizations other than PADI as PADI Open Water Divers."

Since I know little about the program, I purposely left out trying to outline the requirements. I merely stated that it was possible in the past and I wasn't sure if the program still existed or not.

Did it come across as a implying a "cash for card thing"?

That was not my intention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom