Not all LDS are bad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chiara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was at my Course Director's shop for a theory session last night.

Once the main business was done we had a quiet chat about possible future developments once the IE is finished in three weeks.

Mind you: this is not my usual club, nor the nearest LDS in my area, but it's the closest 5*.

I started asking if me and the other girl taking IDC with him could continue to come to the pool to have a second weekly pool session once the course was done.

It must be said that the pool and the shop are in a Dutch-speaking area, my Dutch is pretty bad and friend can't speak nor understand it.

He said we're welcome, he pays for the pool for all his instructors, and he'll pay for us.

Are you saying we can work as instructors at your pool?

Yes, as long as you bring your own customers because I can't give you a Dutch-speaker student, can I?

What conditions?

You ask for the price all the others apply, unless of course it's your own family.

That's slightly lower than I would get from my local club, but there are no pool fees, OW students borrow gear (except fins, mask and weights which they must buy before starting the course unless of course it's an intro dive) for free, I get free tank fills, none of these apply at the other pool.

I know for sure the price I paid for AI+IDC was higher than what people around here usually pay for, but we had three months' worth of two instructors to three students tuition, any extra theory or practice sessions we should need and someone who, having prepared almost 200 OWSI's (not to mention higher levels and specialties) in the last two and a half years has never had anyone fail IE.

This guy is pro nr. 123 in PADI Europe, that says something about his experience and he was with the Belgian federation for a long time before that.

In the last few weeks I bought a tank, a BCD, a pair of booties and a mask from him and will support and advertise his shop for a long time.

I love my LDS they are very low pressure they give me there opinion and the pros and cons to any gear I ask about but never pressure me to buy. However I do buy just about everything from them now.:D

I don't have an LDS. The closest one that sells gear is 150 miles away. My local air fill station is a gas station/boat sales/bait store with a little bit of rental gear.

I've lucked out, I've lots of LDS's to choose from, actually, I patronize them all. I find good deals in all of them on different things, they're pretty patient with me, they know I visit the others but they seem to be comfortable that everyone is getting a piece of the pie when I go shopping for toys. I get treated very well by all of them. I even get significant discounts on many items which sure helps me out.

-Dennis

I signed up for classes with them, looked at their prices, and pronptly ordered nearly everything online. They NEVER tried to sell me anything and I did all of my own research, so I hadn't picked their brains and then gone elsewhere to buy. When it came time to buy a BC, I asked their advice (and got opinions here) and decided to order a Cressi-Sub J-115 through them. They were even more cordial after the purchase. I had an Atomic M1 on ordered from LP, but it was backordered for a couple of months (and I wanted to get in the water). My LDS was only too happy to sell me an Aqualung Legend LX Supreme.

THAT'S when the perks really started. I now get everything at nice discounts or small items free (yes, they're still making money, I know). I get calls from them when they're diving, asking if I'd like to go along. Since I haven't done my open water classes yet (it's just getting warm enough here), pool time is still nice for me. I have an open invitation to any of their pool classes.

I know that it's just smart business, but this shop really knows how to inspire loyalty. Will I continue to nuy off of the internet? Sure. But I'll also use their shop for some items. After hearing some of the horror stories here, I feel very lucky.

I've had nothing but good experiences with my LDS. There are other shops in town to choose from but I usually just give my business to one particular shop. They have always been fair and honest, even talking me out of a piece of equipment that is more expensive in exchange of something they think I'd be happier with. They also keep diving enjoyable by having something planned almost every weekend all year long. I have also bought some things from LP, but my LDS usually is able to stay competitive with them. I know that some manufacturers only allow 10% price discounts but a smart shop owner can find ways around that by adding other things to the deal. In all businesses there are smart business people and ones that are not so smart and dive shops are no different.:approve:

Some are good, some aren't. I have one person who I have patronized his shops for 30 yrs. When it came time for my kids to get certified, I had them go through his school.
But yes there are some items I purchase mail order. On some occasions he has matched prices, some items he doesn't carry, etc.
Like life in general people are different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom