Large gear storage box - suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PTAaron

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
My wife and I just ordered our BCs and regs (should be in mid next week!)... and we were looking to pick up a hard sided storage/transport box for our gear.
A few people at our open water class had wheeled storage boxes - I was just wondering if any of you had a recommendation for something that has worked well for you.

Ideally we want to get both of our rigs in one box, but that isn't a big deal.

So far I've found this, which looks like it would be good for fitting one rig - maybe 2 if you forced it: Stanley at Lowe's: 24 Gallon Mobile Job Chest
076174929782.jpg

Obviously - wet equipment wouldn't be stored in there...

Thoughts?

That's the one I use for my gear ... Stanley 024025R ... it fits in the hold of the Catalina ferry and I can strap my tank on the top when I get there ... I can gear up on it by siting my BC/tank on it and slide into the straps
Water tight, wet stuff stays wet, you don't have to worry about it drying before you get home to wash it

With my gear inside ...

They make a 50gal one that would be better at holding two sets of gear ... Stanley 037025R ... Stanley Hand Tools :* 037025R *-* Stanley® Mobile Tool Chest
Note: it is pretty large, you could put an al80 inside it

My dive buddy has the large one at home for storing all his gear, including his tank
and the small one for diving

The biggest advantage these have over storage containers by tupperware, or lidded trash cans , is the ease of moving them/ability to take down to the dive site

Thanks for the quick reply!

I just use a big Rubbermaid bin. I have a smaller one that fits inside for reg sets, Pelican boxes for can lights, and a cheapo tackle box for extra parts and stuff for repairs. I pack it all in the big one and fill the extra spaces, with extra lights, reels, fins etc to keep everything from moving around. You can get a wheeled one for about 12 bucks. Works fine for me. For the BC and tank I just leave my tank on the BC and use it as a backpack.

I have the big Rubbermaid bins - handiest things for dive gear. No metal parts. Get one for each of you - otherwisae it starts getting heavy and awkward to carry.
Those Stanley units are pretty trick, but the metal will corrode anywhere near salt water.
There are other branded bins - especially in Wal-Marts and K-Marts, but the plastic in the Rubbermaids holds up way better in the sun and getting banged around.

I hadn't thought about the "rust factor"... good point!

I didn't even consider rubbermade storage boxes - but those are cheap and fit the bill!
Thanks for the suggestion!

I bought the largest Underwater Kinetics dry box. Its huge and expensive and weighs a ton. It does have Wheels and a handle and holds a lot of gear, but I found it very difficult to manage getting onto a boat, loading into my truck, and negotiating terrain on a shore dive. I've found that the best containers for transporting gear are the ones with very little weight; Rubbermaid containers with the lid removed. Wheels are nice but they dont work on gravel and eventually you'll have pick up that big box with 100+ Lbs of gear in it. I've found a few lightweight containers works best!

It does have metal parts, and could corrode.
I've had the stanley since 2005, and it's still OK

I would have one of the Rubbermaid tubs, but at home I don't have room for both and I dont want to carry my gear to the dive site, sometimes it's blocks away.
I dont use it on boats, not too neighbor friendly .. I use a XS Scuba BG327 rolling mesh backpack, large enough for all my gear if using a wetsuit, stow it under my seat while diving ... http://www.xsscuba.com/wh_mesh_bp.html

Right now, SAM's is clearancing out a smaller (18 gal?) rolling plastic chest.

I bought the largest Underwater Kinetics dry box. Its huge and expensive and weighs a ton. It does have Wheels and a handle and holds a lot of gear, but I found it very difficult to manage getting onto a boat, loading into my truck, and negotiating terrain on a shore dive. I've found that the best containers for transporting gear are the ones with very little weight; Rubbermaid containers with the lid removed. Wheels are nice but they dont work on gravel and eventually you'll have pick up that big box with 100+ Lbs of gear in it. I've found a few lightweight containers works best!
Good to think about. We have an SUV - so we'll be lifting into/out of it a lot. I'm thinking going with individual boxes makes more sense and will keep the weight down.

It does have metal parts, and could corrode.
I've had the stanley since 2005, and it's still OK

I would have one of the Rubbermaid tubs, but at home I don't have room for both and I dont want to carry my gear to the dive site, sometimes it's blocks away.
I dont use it on boats, not too neighbor friendly .. I use a XS Scuba BG327 rolling mesh backpack, large enough for all my gear if using a wetsuit, stow it under my seat while diving ... XS Scuba BG327 Wheeled Mesh Backpack Scuba Gear Bag
Glad to have a firsthand report on the durability... We will be mostly diving fresh water with whatever container we choose - unless we take a long road trip to salt water, so I imagine the risk of corrosion would be diminished.
That rolling backpack looks pretty sweet - something to think about in the future.

Right now, SAM's is clearancing out a smaller (18 gal?) rolling plastic chest.
Thanks for the tip!
I was going to check out Costco's selection this afternoon... maybe I can get a friend with Sams membership to sneak me in to check that out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom