Cleaning the closet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetman

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, i decided to clean the scuba closet last night and realized how many embarassingly stupid things i've bought over the past 2 years. Truly junk or useless stuff to me. I was shaking my head at so many items i got dizzy. Maybe this stuff might be useful to someone else, but i've been simplifying the gear set and i can't imagine using this stuff any more if i ever even did.

That on top of all the other wasted things i've spent money on - things like the quick disconnect for my cobra which i've never used even once (and the cobra itself for that matter). Certain underwater attention getting devices .. junk like that. There should be a place where people can go and read up on this stuff - a web site that reaches out and slaps you into straight thinking. Scubaboard is a wealth of knowledge for sure but its not all in one place, but there should be mandatory reading for divers after they finish their classes that says this is what you need and this is what you absolutely dont need. The rest is fluff. My problem is i'm too much of an impulse buyer. In my ideal world, this list would be updated as soon as there is a new device on the market saying just how stupid it likely is to start with so it gives people time to think about it.

Well, thats my vented frustration for the day.

steve

Been there done that. I remember cruising the dive shops looking for some new item I just had to have. Thankfully I talked myself out of most of it. Now days my gear weighs so much I dont put anythink unnecesary on it. It amazing how you turn your non diving time into something scuba related (even if that means shopping.) good thing I found scuba board because there are no LDS'S here in del rio.

I think I've been lucky. I'm a poor college student so I havn't had the income to buy much more than what I need. If I had more money I'd probably need another closet.

I've got a closet of dive junk too. I've been fortunate enough to sell some of it though. I look back at some of the stuff I bought and can't imagine what I was possibly thinking. I could have bought a nice drysuit and a set of doubles with all that wasted cash... :(

a nice big suicide clip that I used to use as a tank banger. I actually read somewhere in Rodales that a DM on some boat used one as an attention getter. This thing is HUGE.

Anyone want a gargantuan-sized SS suicide clip?

When I cleaned out my closet, I gave it all to Mike at Gilboa. When he fixes up the "chill out" area, he is going to display a lot of this stuff as memoribilia.
Get this:

the first US Divers lined wet suite.
the original wrap around mask without corners - the glass is actually bent.
the first US Divers single hose reg.
A Nemrod horse collar BC with bottle - you twisted the bottle and it inflated the BC - you twisted it again to stop the flow. I've got a friend with an old Fenzy bottle vest that will join this collection.(this was the Cadillac back in the 70's)
A 70 steel tank with a J-valve
An old double strand 5 ft. speargun.

It will look like a diving museum.

Barracuda2

Luckily I researched most of my dive decisions here before I bought stuff. One thing I wish I hadn't bought was that big ankle mounted knife. I've since replaced it wiith a small one on my belt. Not only was it huge, out of good reach, but it is a pain to take on and off every dive.

wetman once bubbled...
realized how many embarassingly stupid things i've bought over the past 2 years. Truly junk or useless stuff to me. I was shaking my head at so many items i got dizzy. Maybe this stuff might be useful to someone else, but i can't imagine using this stuff any more if i ever even did.

That on top of all the other wasted things i've spent money on - things like the quick disconnect for my cobra which i've never used even once (and the cobra itself for that matter).

Steve - I feel for ya man. And I can understand your total frustration and the feelings that it brings out. Here's whay I think I can do to help.

Pack up and send me your Cobra and quick disconnect as fast as you can. I'll even pay for the shipping. That way you won't have to look at it anymore and you won't have to deal with those horrible feelings or feel stupid anymore.

It's the least I can do for a fellow Scubaboarder. :D

Marc

Very reassuring to not be alone - for two of us:

2 Cobra QD's - what was I thinking?
2 masks that did not quite make it
2 tank trim weight pouches
2 Finger snapping retractors
1 Oversize wetnotes equivilant
1 Mesh divebag

That's it for the past year I think.

scuberd once bubbled...
I think I've been lucky. I'm a poor college student so I havn't had the income to buy much more than what I need. If I had more money I'd probably need another closet.
We poor college kids have to make our dollars stretch as far as possible so I just buy the stuff I need and use the rest to go dive. I just hope that the mentality of it continues throughout life when the cash flow improves. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom