Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tank questions

Registered

Has not set a "status"

tank questions

Me and my wife dive in monterey, wearing 7m suits, which causes us to have to wear a good amount of weight. My wife is a bit more frail then i am, so she always has a hard time lugging her gear back to the car. So what are my choices, can i buy her a lighter aluminum tank? but then i still have to add weight to compensate for the bouyancy at the end of the dive. Would getting a smaller tank help? she does use a lot less air them i do, so that might be an option. Or should i just be a gentleman and lug her gear too. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks

Directional Toast
    Go Red - Support SB!

Still breathing

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    My ex-wife preferred Faber 72's. They were shorter than an AL 80 (21 inches) and weighed two pounds less than an AL80. They were also 4 lbs negative when empty so they were a 8 lbs more negative than an Al 80. The total weight savings when compared to an AL 80 was 10 pounds when you considered the reduced amount of lead weight required.

That said, the odds are good you will be your spouse's tank sherpa as 10 lbs may not be that much of a weight savings when you consider the total weight she has to carry.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but rather by the number of moments that take your breath away.

Registered

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    I doubt if any reasonably sized tank will really make that much difference. A little smaller tank should save a few pound - would 5 pounds less really make her happy. A smaller HP steel tank would also take some lead off and might save a bit more. Best plan would be to come up with a carrying system to ease your load and eat your Wheaties. Or take her to warmer water.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Defender!

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    None - Not Certified
    Photos
    Find her an old steel 72, weight about 35 pounds full, an aluminum 80 weighs something around 39 pounds full on my scale with boot and valve (full). The steel LP72 is neutral when empty or only slightly positive where as the aluminum 80 goes 4 pounds positive. Given that a steel 72 at (2,475 psi) is 72.4 cf and the aluminum 80 is barely 77 cf if absolutely full her dive time should not be affected. Weight off the tank and weight off the belt total should be around eight or nine pounds for her walk. N

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I second the 72 cf Fabers. Mine is tiny and -11 lbs bouyant. Love the tank for long shore dive walks or habing to walk up and down steep paths.

Regular of the Pub

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    in her situation, a smaller steel tank would be almost ideal ... and you won't have to add any weight, in fact, you'll have to take some off

as mentioned above, weight off the tank and weight off in lead will really give her a boost
    all your brain are belong to us

Registered

Has not set a "status"

thank you all for the helpful advice, i will definetley look into the smaller steel tanks.

Registered

Active

Harleysville, Pennsylvania, United States
    Dives
    5,000 - ∞
    Photos
    And still do the "smart thing"....carry your bride's gear!
    Indian Valley Scuba.com - A 'deliberately different' sort of dive center....come see what all the fun's about!
    Like Us on Facebook: Indian Valley Scuba

Indian Valley Travel
    - Offering year round trips focused on Sustainable and Accessible Travel & Adventure
    Follow us on Facebook: Indian Valley Travel

IAHD-Americas - Sharing the magic of the undersea world with handicapped divers everywhere!
    Follow us on Facebook: IAHD-Americas

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    I got my wife a XS 65 HP steel for many of the same reasons. She took off 8lbs of weights and her dry weight was reduced even more. She has no need for a bigger tank because we go down just about PSI for PSI compared to my 80 when diving together.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by scubajim311 View Post
    Me and my wife dive in monterey, wearing 7m suits, which causes us to have to wear a good amount of weight. My wife is a bit more frail then i am, so she always has a hard time lugging her gear back to the car. So what are my choices, can i buy her a lighter aluminum tank? but then i still have to add weight to compensate for the bouyancy at the end of the dive. Would getting a smaller tank help? she does use a lot less air them i do, so that might be an option. Or should i just be a gentleman and lug her gear too. Any suggestions appreciated, thanks
    Looks like we are in the same position
    like others said you can get her a small steel tank. Aluminum tanks are not lighter than HP steel tanks. I'm currently considering HP 80 or even HP65. XS HP 80 is approx 4 lb lighter than AL80 as I remember. Then you can take more weight of the weight belt. And you have to compensate for the buoyancy no matter what tank you have as you compensate for the weight of the air. But also keep in mind that even if she breathes much less air you need to consider the options of her bailing your out in case of you SCUBA failure. It also depends how each tank feels and trims and that depends on her height.

As I have not bought a tank for my wife yet I'm being a gentlemen and haul her tank and weights

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast