ever brave the ice?

• yay

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • nay

Votes: 27 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MantaRey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
just out of curiousity: how many have ever been ice diving? me being in Florida, I yet to experience that lol.

Having just got my new 7mm & dive computer, I'll be diving next weekend in some cooooold water (40-45F, I reckon)... however, if it's cold enough to have ice on the nearby lakes, I'll be telemarking, thankyouverymuch.

Unfortunately I don't get to ice dive enough. Usually only 3 or 4 times a year.

I actually feel warmer on an ice dive than I do (wearing the same level of exposure protection) during an ocean dive off the coast here in the summer. I think it's due to the temperature difference going from 85-90 degree air temps to 45-50 degree water temps. Whereas in the winter on an ice dive, the air and water temps are around the same.

I have dove under ice before. It's interesting but not something I do often. The last time I dove under ice in January it was 36 degrees. I went because a buddy have never done it before. We spent about 25 minutes looking around, waving at each other and when we got on the surface his comment was "ok, I've done that".

never dove ice before. anything colder than 50 is just to cold on my lips and face. I definately wish I was livin in florida right now, Lucky dog!

Ice diving can be a blast, but it is a big production. As far as temp goes, most of my dives in Lake Michigan very early and very late in the season are in the mid thirties anyway. Seems to me most of the ice diving I've done water temps are around thirty seven or eight. I have a 7MM wetsuit which I pump some warm water in before I go in the hole. I'm good for an hour and a half or so. Where one gets cold is on the surface tending the saftey lines and things like that. Thats where good hot cocoa and a steaming bowl of chili come in handy.
As you might guess, ice diving properly done, the dive is only part of the gig. It can be alot of fun with the right people. Try it sometime if you get the chance.

Jim=-)

Just dove last Wednesday in a lake where the water temp was 42. Used a 7mm wet suit and stayed warm... mostly...except I was having leaky mask issues, so I had cold water on my face alot. Also, excessive mask clearing put lots of air into my hood (ah! a new backup BC) so the cold water kept recyclinging and made my head cold. The manager at the LDS says that he comes to these Wednesday dives with a cell phone so after the dive he can call in the dry suit orders... as he smuggly fingers his aragon tank.

I don't know much about ice diving. Aren't there ice caves people go into? The idea of a translucent tunnel sounds really cool.

Yea, I've dove in ice covered lakes while training with the fire dept we dive in all conditions so we know what to expect it's fun but alot of equipment. The temp isn't to bad IMO (dry suits are a great invention)as long as you've got someone waiting with some hot chocolate, and a warm truck or something to get into.

in those long ago Wisconsin days. Once a year we'd cut a hole in the ice and jump in.

Actually, once a year we'd try to cut a hole in the ice and jump in. One year we had shovled the snow and set up all of our gear. After boring the corner holes we started making our cuts with the chain saw.

But something wasn't working right. Pounding with a sledge hammer didn't do the trick. A bit more struggling and then we gave up. Our chain saw blade wasn't long enough and had failed to cut completely through the ice. :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom