First observed incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bug

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Sorry it is kinda long:

I have about 40 dives under my weight belt and have enjoyed all of them. But this past weekend was the first time I have seen and been a part of a dive incident. I will preface this by saying that everybody walked away fine and health.

I was diving the Fort Lauderdale this past weekend to get some dive in before summer work started. On Friday afternoon I went out with my father and a good friend, also on the boat was a DM, captain, and one other women. We get to the site and the DM jumps the wreck and the boat hooks up to the line. There is a decent surface and underwater current to the north. But it wasn’t anything that posed a threat. We all get in the water, my father, friend, and I are budded up, and the woman was going solo. The DM was in the water so my group figured they might buddy up at the wreck. Didn’t seem much of a concern to anybody.

The dive went great, saw some amazing rays and a very larger grouper. My father got a nice fly by from a ray that made him jump as soon as it came into view, but gave an amazing view of it.

The dive is getting almost over and time to do another quick pass and up the line. At this point I see the woman on top of the wreck towards the south end of it and her tank appears to be un-strapped and floating off her back. I know that the current is too strong and there is no way I could catch up. I tried banging on my tank, and to no avail. I tried to head her off on the way to the line, but couldn’t find her. Anyway, we go up, 5min safety stop and then surface. As we are getting on the boat we hear faint screaming and after scanning the surface of the water she is 150 yards north off the bow of the boat.

Holy crap! :wacko: What the heck is she doing all the way out there? She is flailing her arms and seems to be in a state of panic. My friend, still in the water, the captain was about 3 seconds away from throwing him a dive flag and going back for him if he didn’t get up the ladder fast! We get to her and she is obviously having a lot of trouble, and not handling the situation well at all. My father the first in the water to after her I toss the line and the DM and captain pull the line in. She’s resting and catching her breath at the stern of the boat, still in the water. Got her gear off and pulled her out of the water.

She is missing two weight pouches, and a $1200 camera and $800 housing. She dumped everything because she said she could not stay floating at the surface. And that her BC was not holding air. She realized her tank was not strapped in when she got to the surface. We checked her equipment afterwards and her BC seemed to be holding air fine. So maybe a dump valve was snagged from the take and hoses pulling down. We will never know.

She lied on the bench for a while to catch her breath and calm down. She did not appear to be suffering from DCS or any other physical problems. She said she surfaced slowly and safely. Just her pride and breath a little lacking.

We got back to the line, which was about 400 yards away. (that damn current). The DM still had to jump the wreck and pull the line. She was told to go due north for as long as she can safely. She’s in the water a decent amount of time and surfaces with everything the women dropped. Both weight pouches and the camera that were all just sitting on the bottom of the ocean.

So I think everybody worked well as a team to get things in order and calm the victim down. But it was an interesting experience. Not that I would like to see it again, but I am glad to see how everybody performed in that situation. And most of all, nobody got hurt.

All in all it was a great weekend, got some nice dives in and had a great time!

nt

She certainly did the right thing in dumping the camera and the weights to stay afloat. People have drowned not wanting to let go of stuff like that. Sounds like everyone followed their training and it worked out ok.

One question. Did you try warning the DM or the boat crew that you saw she was in trouble? Maybe if you had warned the DM at the safety stop he could have surfaced and mobilized forces a few minutes earlier. In this case it worked out ok but those few minutes can sometimes be precious.

R..

We have rescued/assisted two solo divers who have had their tanks come out of the cam bands. LOL At least one was "solo certified" by SDI.

Regardless of your veiws on solo diving you have to admit that being able to assemble your gear should be a pre-requisit.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Regardless of your veiws on solo diving you have to admit that being able to assemble your gear should be a pre-requisit.

Why worry about that when the shop-monkey can set-up your gear for you....

Why was she diving solo?
I am not exactly sure. I figured she would have dove with the DM. But she never asked for a buddy, I would guess the DM asked about the buddy situation. But I am not exactly sure what happend in that department.

The DM was not planning on actually diving the wreck, she was there only to jump it. So there were really only my group and the women in the water. When we started to go up the line, my thought was she was already on the boat or, still diving. I was not able to alert the DM or crew that her tank was loose until I got on the boat. At that exact moment we heard screaming.

glad all turned out well. Sounds like her gear wasn't assembled correctly since it all checked out well later. I do a lot of solo diving and when diving off a boat I always recheck my gear after the DM's have slapped it together. Check your air kids, I can't count how many times I've seen divers go in the drink with the air off.

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
........ and when diving off a boat I always recheck my gear after the DM's have slapped it together.

I always tell them, Thanks anyways But, leave my gear alone!! I'll take care of it myself!!

(and I always re-check that my air is on before entry!) :)

Tavi once bubbled...

I always tell them, Thanks anyways But, leave my gear alone!! I'll take care of it myself!!

Tavi I'm much like you. I don't mind them them slapping the gear together, but I recheck it all. Maybe that's why on our last boat dive the head DM told my wife and I to just go do our thing.

We survived.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom