Is It a Sport?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

metaldector

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The question is, “Is diving a sport?” On the surface most of us would say, of course it is? But I’ve been thinking a lot about this question and would welcome your opinions and thoughts.
Certainly scuba diving is an athletic outdoor activity but it doesn’t result in a competitive score. Look at other “sports”, baseball, tennis, hockey, horse racing, car racing, surfing, boxing, you name it, these sports have time limits, rules, boundaries, judges, scoring, points, goals, or objectives to overcome. Diving has no judges, no scoring, no time limits, no objectives, goals or points. Five divers, nine divers, don’t make a team to score against another team. Age is a factor in most sports as is physical conditioning; most athletes are over the hill by age 35. Diving has no upper age limits, fat people, thin people, skinny wimps or navy seals, all can dive if no medical issues prevent them from doing so. Even physically impaired divers participate in scuba. There is no field to play on, no sidelines, no goals, no balls, clubs, rackets, and all things that define sports. There is no rulebook. Yes, we have instruction manuals, videos, and sanctioning organizations but look at all the different equipment set-ups, and all the discussions on what is right or wrong, its not like the NFL with all the same helmets, jerseys, pants, and shoes. And think about the field of play: rivers, lakes, oceans, rock quarries, missile silos, mines, springs, pools, fresh water, salt water, cold water, warm water, deep water, shallow water not to forget diving under ice. “I’m a diver!”, someone will say, even if they only dive occasionally. No one says, “I play diving.” But people in sports always say, “I play baseball, (golf, football, soccer, etc.) even fishing has competitions but not diving. Where is the Superbowl of diving? Where is the National Scuba Diving Championship? So the question remains. Is diving a sport?
:confused:

Everyone's definition of sport is different. It's active, I do it for enjoyment and personal satisfaction. It's a sport. It doesn't have to be competitive.

Some might define it as an extreme sport akin to mountain climbing. In that regards it's a sport. It's not a competitive sport though, unless you just need to get down one foot deeper than your buddy and make your tank last one minute more.

I suppose some would consider real sports those that keep score, like bowling and darts.

Dictionary.com defines a sport as:

sport Audio pronunciation of sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

Now, no arguing semantics

Class dismissed

wow, I think you just wrote an ad for scuba.

if it's a sport? I say yes, though as you say not competative. Scuba still gets you outside and exercize (with a few resort oriented exceptions) which is more than I can say about other "sports." Just because we are not trying to one-up the other guy does not mean that we don't have a specialized set of skills that one must know, rules to follow, equiptment to use. I think in many ways it is better than competative sports because there tends to be less "jock"ism involved with scuba; everyone is there to have fun, and in the end isn't that the goal of all sports?

by the way, people say : I'm a golfer, I'm a racer, I'm a surfer

ZoCrowes255 once bubbled...
Dictionary.com defines a sport as:

sport Audio pronunciation of sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

1. Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
2. A particular form of this activity.
2. An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
3. An active pastime; recreation.

Now, no arguing semantics

Class dismissed

I would have said no to scuba diving being a sport untill I read that. Thank you, I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!! :D

my definition is that if it can't kill you it's not a sport...therefore...golf is not a sport (unless you are doing it in a thunderstorm with steel shafts):wink:

bwerb once bubbled...
my definition is that if it can't kill you it's not a sport...therefore...golf is not a sport (unless you are doing it in a thunderstorm with steel shafts):wink:

Have you ever got whacked by an errant golf ball? Take one in the head and it can (and does on occasion) Kill.
Last week Tuesday I was involved with a fund raiser golf outing. In addition to an 18 round, I spent time tending hole 17 where a hole in one won you a new SUV. The SUV was on the course and it and us were narrowly missed possibly 10 times due to a strong cross wind on the top of the adjacent 16 green. I am talking less than 5 feet misses. I believe statistically golf ranks as a riskier sport than diving. During one tee up last Tuesday a person addressing the ball had one literally come down cross wind between him and his club.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom