Are you a snorkle keeper?

Do you dive with a snorkel?

• Yes, I'm a snorkel keeper!

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Heck no! I'm a snorkel dumper!

Votes: 104 67.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveKitten

Reaction score
I'm beginning to learn that there is a difference between what PADI says you need to dive and what divers say you need to dive. For instance, a snorkle. I've met a few people who refuse to
dive with a snorkle. Thoughts?

~DiveKitten *meow* :kitty:

Haven't dove with one since my certification OW class - couldnt wait to not dive with one. They get in the way and are only good for the first 2 inches or so of your dive. Below that, they breathe a little wet.

If theres ever been a need to swim at the surface for any distance its always on my back so dont need one for that. I would think the only time you might want to consider one is if you somehow had to wait in slightly choppy seas but even then I doubt i'd bring one.

If all you're doing is trying to save a few breaths from the tank before you go down, its likely not even enough to worry about and wont appreciably affect your bottom time. They get in the way when you try to grab for your bc inflation valve. They catch on things and generally make for a less pleasant experience all around. Keep in mind that they are absolutely useless for the majority of time you're in the water when you have scuba gear on. Not only useless, but they get in the way, so they
re worse than useless.

If you're snorkeling, bring a snorkel. Otherwise dont.

My 2 cents.

steve

Now there are times I'll put one on but only if I know I'll have a super long surface swim. Then if I'm uncertain about an area sometimes I'll stuff one inside my BC in case I get stuck with an unexpected swim. But 99% of the time I go without a snorkle. They just catch on crap and pick up unwanted garbage along the way.

Plus my buddies used to yank on it :)

As always a personal choice, but I don't like them.

I remember the first time I dove without a snorkel, I thought for sure the scuba police were going to arrest me. I was looking over my shoulder waiting for someone to chew me out. if you start looking around you will notice lots of people not wearing them. here is 2 advantages to not wearing one:
1. less to get entangled
2. less leakage in the mask

I dive with a long-hose/bungied back-up...a snorkel would totally get in the way of deploying the hose in case of an emergency or drills. I don't believe it would be entirely safe to dive with a snorkel with this type of a set-up.

I have a snorkle. It lives in the bottom of my gear bag and comes out when I work classes.

When I do real dives, I leave it in the gear bag.

Its an utterly useless potential entanglement that interferes with proper deployment of the regulator and gets in the way.

If you swim on your back on the surface, you will not need one.

A snorkel is good for snorkeling. If it was meant to be for scuba diving it would be called a "scubie" not a snorkel.

I keep my snorkel on my desk....it serves as my paperweight...and gives me something to throw at people who stand in my cube too long.

I actually wear my snorkle when I dive. I'm required to when I dive through the University and the few times that I don't I'm usually too lazy to take it off. Sure it's a pain in the butt but I like having free airfills at school.

I haven't worn one since my OW class. However, the last few dives that I've done managed to involve pretty hefty surface swims. I'm thinking that I may put it when I'm shore diving and want to save a little air on the way out. Other than that, nuts to the "snorkel rule". They just seem to get in the way.

That being said, I love to snorkel!!! But that is a different sport.

Tol :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom