Bad Experience Divers Unlimited Norfolk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_punk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been a member now for less than a year and I have used the large amount of information found here to influence equipment purchases among other things. I wanted to take the time to share an unpleasant experience with the group so others don’t run into the same problems that I have. Last August I started making equipment purchases to continue the adventure of diving after a long hiatus. After all my research I chose the equipment that I felt would fit my needs. I then started shopping around online and at the LDS. I happened to find the best deal online at joediveramerica.com . Now following the guidance of scubaboard.com I verified that Joe Diver was an authorized Mares dealer. Here it is a year later I decide to take my gear in for the yearly checkup. My wife takes the regulator assembly over to my chosen dealer Divers Unlimited in Norfolk, VA. I have done all my advanced training through the group and my wife is taking her OW there. Now she was told when she dropped it off that the parts would be covered and we would just be charged for labor. So imagine my surprise today when I went over to pick up my equipment when I was charged and extra $42 dollars for parts. I began to politely protest the additional charges and the gentleman at the counter went into the back to go over the details with Captain Tom Micale who does the servicing. Now I could overhear the conversation and it basically came down to “He didn’t purchase it here so how should I know. That is why he was charged. Well I guess I could check with Mares tomorrow”. Now at that point I was fuming mad. The owner Joe’s wife Nancy was upfront and went into a story on how “When you buy stuff online it’s not covered by warranty and online stores aren’t authorized dealers”. Now the gentleman returned with his talk from Tom and I told him not to bother and just ring me up. At that point they attempted to pacify me with “Tom will check with Mares tomorrow and we will refund the money if the equipment was from an authorized dealer”. Now I am fired up out of sheer principle that they had my equipment over 2 weeks and he should have had that worked out before I came in to pick it up. To me it feels like they tried to get any penny they could just because I didn’t buy from them. I guess someone that is a pacifist would have just paid the $42 and moved on but I am not that guy. Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent and to let people know to watch out. And yes I still have all the receipts and had sent the warranty cards in.

If it was me, I would verify once again from Mares themselves that it IS covered. Then I would go get my refund and never go back again. Hopefully there IS another LDS nearby that can service it from then on though.

That is the plan at this point. There is a closer LDS that I have used for fills here and there but it looks like they are going to become my primary. The sad thing is I made special trips over to Divers Unlimited which is 40 mins from my house vs 15 mins from my house and the 5 mins from work for the other dealer.

worked out before I came in to pick it up. To me it feels like they tried to get any penny they could just because I didn’t buy from them. I guess someone that is a pacifist would have just paid the $42 and moved on but I am not that guy. Sorry for the long post but I needed to vent and to let people know to watch out.

Watch out for what? They didn't refuse service, and when you said it was under warranty, they said they would check on it.

FWIW, it's entirely possible that it's not covered under warranty. Although I have no idea how Mares works, there are a number of brands that have no warranty if purchased online.

Terry

Very true they didn't refuse service. My point is they had the equipment for over 2 weeks. Why couldn't they have checked during that period instead of the charge 1rst and hope I didn't say anything mentality. If my wife would have went over without me she would have just paid, taken their answer and moved on.

Last edited:
Watch out for what? They didn't refuse service, and when you said it was under warranty, they said they would check on it.

Terry, I guess you missed this part:

...Now she was told when she dropped it off that the parts would be covered and we would just be charged for labor. So imagine my surprise today when I went over to pick up my equipment when I was charged and extra $42 dollars for parts...

A warranty is a warranty. If shop "A" needs to service Brand X regulator bought at shop "B," all they need to do is return the used parts in a package to the manufacturer with the serial number of the serviced regulator and name of the registered owner for either a "credit" toward the repair or replacement parts. This is a pain for some shops to do when you don't buy there, especially one-for-one, so they give you the run around.

Send a letter to Mares. Get the name of a VP in charge of customer relations, warranty repair, or a related division. Copy the receipts and give them the story. See what happens. Most major manufacturers have dealer requirements.

I know the shop and individual you are speaking of. Same reason why I don't buy there, either.

For all you LDS folks out there who will jump on this thread, this is WHY on-line shops and retailers are doing better. Here you have a returning now unhappy customer that you could have done right by and probably generated a future sale... GONE

One other thing. Don't let anyone fool you, there's no such thing as a "grey market" NOT known to a dive equipment manufacturer issuing serial numbers on gear that is CE certified. They KNOW where all gear goes, they just let it happen. If you buy "new" and unused equipment in the United States from a retailer who has a supplier agreement with a manufacturer or licensed distributer, you get the same warranty. If they try to give you flack, inform them you are filing a complaint with the FTC (click here to complete the complaint form) and will follow-up until you get action. Denial of warranty coverage for sales across state lines is generally NOT allowed under the interstate commerce provisions of the Constitution. However, this provision does NOT cover international third party sales. BUT, that's STILL a manufacturer issue, NOT a dealer problem.

The day is rapidly approaching when the "big" online stores will begin offering seamless drop-shipped flat rate warranty and non-warranty service for almost everything they sell. Another nail in the coffin of LDSs. Get in the groove folks, stop bitching and start performing or you will very quickly find yourself marginalized and out of business...

:shakehead:

Andy

First off, how did they know it was purchased online? I suppose you presented a recit to that effect.

Knowing it was purchased online and that JD was a Mares approved seller, why didn't you send it to them.

I would not expect a brick and mortar diveshop to happily service my equipment and spend time calling Mares if I purchased it online. Its just a norm in the industry we have to accept; and yes I know it should not always be this way but it is. Internet dealers have very little overhead and seem to be immune from the price fixing the dealers force on the dive shops. Its a shame the industry is as such.

Solution:

Just send to to were you purchased it and spend a little extra (5-10 dollars) for shipping.

These comments remind me of my own business. I own a software company that also sells and services equipment, primarily to our software customers. There is no question that they can buy things like printers from an on-line store much cheaper than I can sell them. That on-line store does not have to send technicians to expensive training schools each year for certification. Those schools are never local so I pay for the travel expense too. I spend valuable money stocking parts for the equipment we sell. I have to devote part of my facility to a maintenance shop and pay the rent and overhead associated with that. An on-line store has none of these expenses. Of course they can sell things cheaper. Contrary to popular belief, we do not make money from warranty repairs. Yes, the manufacturer will reimburse us for the parts, but they do not reimburse me for shipping. If we charge labor, its never enough to really cover the cost.

So want the cheapest price you can find and also the most convenient, if not cheapest, service you can find. It rarely works that way. I have been diving for years and like most, I bought some stuff from on-line stores. But I quickly realized that I wanted my local shop to be around and they can only be around if they make money. You want to give the profit on a sale to an on-line store that you have no future relationship with. Rarely can you have it both ways.

I have brought 10 tanks to get filled into the local shop just as the guy was locking the doors. I wanted to dive the next morning. They gladly stayed and filled those tanks. Several years ago I broke a power inflator hose on my last dive and wanted to dive the next day. I sent them an email and the owner met me very early the next day to replace my failed equipment. Can you do that with an on-line store?

Yes, you might pay a little more for the equipment from a local shop. But I have found that if I show them the "deal" from the on-line store, they can usually get very close. And the extra price is worth the relationship I get. Stop thinking "cheap" and start thinking "value". Or quit complaining when you get exactly what you paid for.

Lets support our LDS so they will be around for us tomorrow.

ScubaSarus

I didn't tell them I purchased it online until they charged me for parts, I had made no mention of where it was purchased on the drop off.

If I would have know this would happen I would have sent it to the Mares service center but I figured I would support the LDS in some way by using them for training and service.

Live and Learn. That is part of the reason I made this thread so other divers can know what to expect.

Lets support our LDS so they will be around for us tomorrow.
Is your LDS a charity? No? Then they are a business, and presumably they offer goods and services that people are willing to pay for. If they can deliver those goods and services at a competitive price they will be around for you tomorrow. If their business plan is to plead with customers on the internet to pay more than they have to elsewhere, I'd start developing a plan b.

Your software business too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom