DM Dilema

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppo2_diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm having a moral dilema maybe people on this board can help me with. I'm planning on starting the PADI DM course in August. There is a person I know who is going to start it with me at the same LDS. I have dove with this person a couple of times in the past, he is still pretty much a newbie. He has confided in me that he is going to have his wife sign his log book for dives he didn't do, just so he can meet the requirements for the DM course.

My dilema is this, do I tell the LDS what he is planning on doing? I feel that it really isn't my place to question how the LDS runs their business. But on the other hand I have an obligation to my fellow divers. I would feel very guilty if a student got hurt because of this moron's stupidity.

So, should I tell the LDS? If so, how do I go about starting that discussion. I've been try to convince this person that he isn't ready for the DM course and I'm hoping he won't pursue it yet.

Help!!!

Definatly a tough spot to be in. I would have to think that the instructor would have some idea of how many dives this guy really has. I would think if it was me, the best you can do is hope that he only kills himself. It is one of those things that you have to use you best judgement. If you are in with your instructor, give him a hypothetic situation that you have what would he suggest. We all know there is no scuba police and you put faith in fellow divers that they are doing what they are suppose to do and have done what they say they have done. It goes back to when we were kids and do you admit that you broke the window or do you lie and say you did not do it. I guess you have to do what your gut tells ya is the right thing. used alot of words and proably did not give you any better of an idea of what to do then you had when you posted this. guess you have to do what you think is the right thing. Good luck

If you can't convince him to not do what he has told you he is planning, then you have a moral obligation to prevent the potential disaster. If he is so willing to cheat on this imagine what else he will allow.

MISFIT DIVER once bubbled...

If you are in with your instructor, give him a hypothetic situation that you have what would he suggest. We all know there is no scuba police and you put faith in fellow divers that they are doing what they are suppose to do and have done what they say they have done. It goes back to when we were kids and do you admit that you broke the window or do you lie and say you did not do it. I guess you have to do what your gut tells ya is the right thing. used alot of words and proably did not give you any better of an idea of what to do then you had when you posted this. guess you have to do what you think is the right thing. Good luck

I honestly think you are wrong. You as a diving professional should never even think about letting something like this transpire. If he can't be talked out of it then you have to turn him in. I'm not a lawyer, and hopefully one of them will chime in here, but if you don't turn him in you too are at risk because of what you know and when you know it.

...that you're in. Still, as a new diver, I would only want to be trained by a diver capable of training other divers. What I mean is, from my point of view you must tell the LDS if nothing else prevents the guy from becoming a DM... It isn't just a few dives, it is about safety.

Could you talk to someone from the LDS confidentially about the situation? :confused:

-MM

i think you have a moral obligation to make sure the instructor knows, however what if he denies ever having said it? How are you going to prove this?

makes me wonder, why would anyone just make up dives :confused: You are then just fooling yourself and endangering others. I would certainly not want to have someone like that teach me anything...

well, my return question to you would be this. Let's say one of your very good friends has taken a BOW class and is doing his check-out dives. Would you want this particular individual to be the DM responsible for your friend?

Personally, I wouldn't even want him on the same boat if he is
"creating dives"....hmmm...let's see....I think I just did my first overhead wreck dive...wow that was fun.

Expose this fool....this is problem # 835 with the diving industry these days. If the LDS refuses to listen to you (assuming you have approached them in a sincere manner) then you have no reason to be loyal to that shop ever again.

We do not need more incapable DMs and Instructors...we have enough.

Big-t-2538 once bubbled...
well, my return question to you would be this. Let's say one of your very good friends has taken a BOW class and is doing his check-out dives. Would you want this particular individual to be the DM responsible for your friend?

Personally, I wouldn't even want him on the same boat if he is
"creating dives"....hmmm...let's see....I think I just did my first overhead wreck dive...wow that was fun.

Expose this fool....this is problem # 835 with the diving industry these days. If the LDS refuses to listen to you (assuming you have approached them in a sincere manner) then you have no reason to be loyal to that shop ever again.

We do not need more incapable DMs and Instructors...we have enough.

Amen!

Don't take the course with him would be my first suggestion. My second is show him the responsibilities as a DM. And third how did he take his rescue course was he already making up dives for that? :rolleyes:

Something tells me that if you had already finished the DM class yourself, you wouldn't even have to ask...

Back
Top Bottom