Steel Tank VS Aluminum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTodd77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Pros/Cons of each? I seem to notice more experienced divers with steel so I thought I'd ask. I've never dove with a steel tank, but I was thinking about buying a second tank, and was wondering if I should get another Aluminum or try a steel tank, since they appear to hold more air.

well, steel tanks tend to be negatively bouyant at the end of the dive, so you need less weight

also they tend to be larger than 80cf ...

also, unlike many AL tanks, they don't tend to push your head down and your feet up towards the end of the dive

they are heavier, generally speaking; that's a possibly drawback

well, steel tanks tend to be negatively bouyant at the end of the dive, so you need less weight

also they tend to be larger than 80cf ...

also, unlike many AL tanks, they don't tend to push your head down and your feet up towards the end of the dive

they are heavier, generally speaking; that's a possibly drawback

i have 5lbs staped to my alum 80s..it seems to do yhe trick

I like steel. You don't end up being "too bouyant" at the end of your dive.

Assuming we're talking about a single tank, and AL80 vs HP100:

AL80 pros:
  • cheap
  • available everywhere
  • what you'll find for rental, so no need to adjust your gear when you travel
  • flat bottom, so can be used without boot if you object to boots

AL80 cons:
  • buoyant at the end of the dive, that means you need extra ballast (I'm at 19 with AL80, 12 with HP100)
  • relatively light even at the beginning of the dive, which makes sitting in the water less comfortable with a back inflation BC or BP/W.
  • actually 77cft, a lot less than a HP100
  • doesn't live as long as a steel tank
  • a bit too long physically for the average diver

HP100 pros:
  • always negative, so you need to carry less ballast (that's a cons if you dive tropical and don't need ballast at all with steel)
  • more air for approximately the same total tank weight
  • HP100 as a lot more gas than a AL80
  • diver weight distribution is balanced further back, which makes sitting in the water more comfortable
  • lasts forever (if cared for appropriately)
  • more compact than an AL80
  • failure modes are supposed to be less dangerous in steel than AL

HP100 cons:
  • expensive
  • round bottom - get a boot or be prepared to hold to it often
  • not what you'll rent - so you need to be prepared to adjust your gear when you travel

Tell me if I forgot anything, I'll add it to the list.

Get a steel 100, you will be very happy.

i would just buy another AL 80, its better to have similar tanks to keep your weighting the same so you dont have to keep messing with it. Only way i would go steel is if i was looking to get more into tech type diving or making a switch to steel and would buy a 2nd steel in the near future and get rid of the al 80 or use it as a spare for when your getting a hydro done, have company, or may be doing 3 dives in a day

i have 5lbs staped to my alum 80s..it seems to do yhe trick

that's cool ... that's not a heck of a lot of weight

i don't use any weight with a steel 108; bouyancy is extremely steady at the end of a dive

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom