Have you made money from your diving adventures?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Raven C

Reaction score
I don't mean instructing or through dive mastering. I mean from the artifacts or treasures you have found. Or, maybe writing articles. Oopps I do know there are a couple published writers here on the board.

I have found some really cool stuff and usually I give them as gifts or keep them in my treasures from the sea basket in my den. The best thing I found was a brand new boat anchor with about 30 feet of new rope. I don't really treasure the artifacts as much as others so I have given most of them away. (Old bottles, bones, etc.) I was wondering if anyone has "funded" their diving with treasures they have found or made some side money from diving experiences and finds.

Any stories to tell?

R

However, I hear some divers can turn a pretty penny diving for Megalodon teeth and mammoth bones. Any input SC divers?

gfisher4792 once bubbled...
However, I hear some divers can turn a pretty penny diving for Megalodon teeth and mammoth bones. Any input SC divers?

You don't have to be a SC diver to make money from those. They'll share the river with all of us. Just be ready, it gets very dark very quickly in the Cooper.:wacko:

Oh no hehe

If you found that new anchor with the 30ft of brand new 3/8" poly attached to it in Houser lake a few weeks ago, it was mine =]

Part of the reason I am going to get certified in scuba diving. Nothing worse than the helpless feeling of standing on a boat and cutting your anchor line.

-Marcus

I got $50.00 to find a piece of aluminum that was ripped from a friends boat during a storm. I would have done it for free but he insisted. It would have cost him a good bit more to have the piece machined. Brown water diving at it's best. I have about 1 foot vis. but I found it.

I have also been paid for travel articles that were published in a local paper. It does not pay for the trip but every little bit helps.

My buddy and I received $26.00 for recovering a guy's glasses off the end of his boat dock in 10 feet of water.

We split the money, so that's $13.00 for me, minus $4.00 for an airfill; so, yeah, I'm in the black for $9.00 of good divemoney--and lookin' for more.

Sorry the anchor was found in Port Royal Sound in South Carolina. R

I was laying around the pool at the apartment complex I lived in a few years ago soaking up some sun when I over heard the manager and the maintenance guy discussing draining the pool in order to fix something. I listened a little closer and figured out that some kids had ripped the grate off the the water intake at the bottom of the deep end and they couldn't think of anyway to reinstall it without draining all the water. They wern't to happy about draining it because the manager said it was going to cost them about $1500 in water to fill it back up. I walked over to the two of them and told them I couldn't help overhearing that they were going to close the pool for several days and asked why. They went through the whole ordeal again and once they were finished I told them it was there lucky day. I explained to them both that I was a diver and that I could get my gear and be back at the pool and install the grate in less then 15 minutes, and they wouldn't have to drain the pool. The manager was so thrilled that she gave me $50 off my rent for like 3 months and told me that I could use the pool anytime I wanted to teach classes in.

I thought $150 and a free pool for teaching was well worth less then 15 minutes of work.

Scott

diving gear, I've found 6 rings so far...2 of them are gold, another one has a clear "stone" of some sort...most likely glass, but could be diamond, I suppose. Haven't gotten around to doing anything with them, though. None of these appear to be old, from shipwrecks, etc...probably from tourists whose fingers were skinnier than they thought.

Not yet, but I'm working on it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom