Has anyone dove Haystack Rock...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
...Cannon Beach Oregon? Or do you know of any other shore dive sites near there?
I would be afraid to dive Haystack Rock, personally... it's only in shallow water at high tide and the surf is pretty rough there. I am a wuss, though...

I do know folks dive Neakanie (southern tip of Short Sands beach in Oswald West State park) as well other sites around there. There is a dive shop in Seaside that runs boat dives (and I assume would know of shore dives!). David, the owner of the shop, seems to be a nice guy (don't know him personally, just through another Scuba board) and I know I wouldn't hesitate going out with him. As a matter of fact, next time we're in Cannon Beach visiting the mother in law, I think I will! :D

On a personal note... I've been going down to that area of the Oregon Coast since I was 5 (Arch Cape). It is one of my most favorite places on Earth! My wife also loves Cannon Beach (one of the many things we had in common when we met), so we got married there! :) Here's some pics from that wedding with Haystack Rock in the background.

Jimmie

I've spent a week every summer for a couple of decades at the Canon Beach Conference Center and never have taken the scuba gear... but I always wondered if there was anything on the west side of Haystack or the rocks beyond. Never have seen any divers.

I checked out the dive shop in Seaside last summer and when I asked the fella behind the desk where they liked to dive he said, "Edmonds Under Water Park."

:rolleyes:

Uncle Pug,

I remember stories of divers taking boats through the surf at Haystack Rock offshore where the depth was 60 to 90 feet, and diving for large halibut. From what I remember of their stories, it was a sand bottom, and the halibut were fairly plentiful. That was in the spearfishing days, and I cannot confirm any of the stories, but that's what my memory banks hold.

Good luck,

SeaRat

...like around 14 years, but that's the area where I certified. If you go farther south, you can dive around Newport. I remember doing the Fingers a number of times near the bay. Here's a link to the dive site page of shop that certified me back in the day. Haystack was pretty good, from what I remember. And it's a great photo op if you get a sunset there.

UP, Sorry you did not get very good info here.

I have been out to the rocks there in CB but they are shallow and a lot of current and surge.

We dive Barview quite a bit (just 40 min south) and it is a very nice spot. (take a look at some recent photos www.seasidescuba.com/gallery/ )

There are 30+ good locations on the ocean side if you take a boat and run to them, but as far as shore diving we are a bit limited.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom