new - v - old

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Virgil

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm a relatively new diver, 30+ dives, but have recently started to acquire my own kit as I feel that is the best way to be comfortable and take responsibility for my diving.

Problem is, it seems that the more you buy, the more you seem to need. Whilst I won't scrimp on safety, money doesn't grow on tree, so I'm keen to know pros and cons of buying used gear.

Should everything be bought new or can used gear be value for money? If so, what's the best way of getting hold of used gear?

All opinions appreciated.

Virgil once bubbled...
I'm a relatively new diver, 30+ dives, but have recently started to acquire my own kit as I feel that is the best way to be comfortable and take responsibility for my diving.

Problem is, it seems that the more you buy, the more you seem to need. Whilst I won't scrimp on safety, money doesn't grow on tree, so I'm keen to know pros and cons of buying used gear.

Should everything be bought new or can used gear be value for money? If so, what's the best way of getting hold of used gear?

All opinions appreciated.

Used gear can definitely be good value for money. It can also be a waste of money so be picky. A word of caution. Assume the owner hasn't serviced it well and factor some back-logged maintenance into the cost when you buy.

Where I live we have a couple of locally oriented websites for trading/selling used dive gear. Probably if you asked around you'd find the same thing in your area.

R..

I would suggest that you buy new when you can. But when buying used always look over the gear yourself, and whenever possible get a certified tech to look at it too before you buy. If it is something fairly straight forward like a mask or fins go used, but be very careful with something like a regulator.

Regulators are ok for buying used. Make sure you get a good model that is easy to service and if possible a model that is still on the market. Old ScubaPro's for example last forever......
BCD's, and espacially the vest types are usualy not recomended.

Ask the dive centers at your area. They will know who is selling what.

Back
Top Bottom