chest pain while deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

srobins

Registered
Reaction score
Hi All,

I went for my deep dive for my AOW on the weekend and went down to 26m (85ft), water temp was 8C (45F). I was wearing a drysuit. I noticed that while I was swimming horizontal, when I took a really deep breath, my sternum (the bone in the centre of the chest) started to hurt. Is this normal? I thought it may be something to do with the drysuit or the pressure at that depth. I didnt think to check it at any other depth or orientation as it only happened a few times and I only remembered it now.
Other than that it was a good dive..

srobins once bubbled...
Hi All,

I went for my deep dive for my AOW on the weekend and went down to 26m (85ft), water temp was 8C (45F). I was wearing a drysuit. I noticed that while I was swimming horizontal, when I took a really deep breath, my sternum (the bone in the centre of the chest) started to hurt. Is this normal? I thought it may be something to do with the drysuit or the pressure at that depth. I didnt think to check it at any other depth or orientation as it only happened a few times and I only remembered it now.
Other than that it was a good dive..

You might have been experiencing a suit squeeze. Adding a little more air to your suit would probably have relieved the pressure.

R..

....making the assumption that is was a short temp pain with no radiation down the left arm??

I would have to agree with Diver0001. Try to add a little more air to your suit. Did the pain go away if you ascended a little? Sounds like the suit squeeze might have been putting pressure on the inflator valve on your chest.

You can pretty much rule out a cardiac problem if the pain changed with respiration like you said. My guess is with the others that it was probably a squeeze, most likely on your fill valve. (was the valve over your sternum?)

Yes, thinking back the valve probably is over my sternum. I think Im a little worried about uncontrolled ascents so I try to put as little air in the suit as possible! (Only been on 5 drysuit dives)

I should mention that I had similar symptoms when I forgot to zip my undergarment all the way up and the fill valve was pressing directly against my chest without any paddnig.

Roak

I had similar chest pains when taking deep breaths while diving too, but I wear a wet suit. I was concerned it was my heart too, maybe angina or something. I went to my doctor and got checked out and it turned out to be a pulled muscle in my chest. I think it's more along the lines of a small tear in the tissue that connects the chest muscle to my sternum. Do you lift weights? I do and I'm not as young as I used to be so I blame it on that. Take some anti-Inflamitories and it will go away. Good luck.

roakey once bubbled...
I should mention that I had similar symptoms when I forgot to zip my undergarment all the way up and the fill valve was pressing directly against my chest without any paddnig.

Roak

Yup, been there. I now have a thick piece of neoprene padding on a string. I wear it like a necklace so that the neoprene pads my sternum from the inflator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom