Using regulators and BC's from different manufacturers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Joe DeSantis

Reaction score
Hi everybody! I am new to scuba and have just finished my PDIC cert. and have a few questions. Is it ok to mix-n-match equipment from different manufacturers? I currently have the Aqua lung malibu BC aand am in the process of looking into a regulator and octopus. I was thinking about getting a scubapro MK25/g250. Will I have any problems with installing this to my BC? Is that a bad idea? I have not decided yet on an octo either. I was tossing around the idea of getting an octo by scubapro also. I have been checking out Rodale's gear reviews and have not seen a whole lot of info. on this topic. Could someone refer me to a thread or be able to answer my question?

Thanks in advance for your help!:)

Joe DeSantis once bubbled...
I currently have the Aqua lung malibu BC aand am in the process of looking into a regulator and octopus. I was thinking about getting a scubapro MK25/g250. Will I have any problems with installing this to my BC? Is that a bad idea?
Given the fact that you do not install your reg onto a BC (excluding the HUB) you shouldn't have any problems.

The only interface between the BC and regulator is the LP inflator hose, and normally (can't be sure in this case, but normally), the BC will come with the correct LP inflator hose. It just needs to be installed on the regulator. The reason you need the correct LP inflator hose is that there are maybe 4 or 5 different types of LP inflator quick release fittings about, and not all of them are interchangeable or compatable. There is a "universal" fitting, but it is only "universal" because it is the most common - it is not compatable with all LP inflators.

If you're buying from the LDS (local dive shop), they should install this hose onto your regulator for you as part of the purchase, and at least let you watch so you know how it's done. If not, find someone you know with some gear maintenance experience to show you how to install a hose. It really is a simple task, but you can screw it up, and it's a valuable skill that might just save a dive for you one day if you know how to do it yourself.

You can often mix-n-match stage brands on a regulator but unless you really know what you are doing or the shop tech does, you should generaly stay with one manufacturer for components of a given reg.

Depending on how its setup, they may have 'balance' issues.

EG: the octo from one maker may be designed for a slightly lower intermediate pressure than the manufactureors primary 2nd stage. This would likely lead to an easily freeflowing octo stage.

Again, just about any 2nd stage can be adjusted and balanced to match any other, but its simpler to maintain if it's all one maker.

If you had an issue with your reg on a trip and needed servicing, you night have to take it to 2 different shops if you couldn't find a single, local shop that handled the parts from both makers...

My reg uses the same 2nd stage for the octo as the primary just cause if I do need it, I want it to work the same way with no surprises...

I think what I will do is use the ALung Bc and stick w/ scubapro for my regulator/octopus. I would imagine that the brand of my gauges is not an issue? Should I stick w/ scubapro gauges as well?

Thanks for all of your input!

I would imagine that the brand of my gauges is not an issue?
Not at all. All HP hoses are 7/16", and air pressure is air pressure.

Should I stick w/ scubapro gauges as well?
If you're buying your regs from a Scubapro dealer, you could get your regs and instruments at the same time. That said, I prefer just a simple SPG on the HP hose, and wrist mounted instruments.

An SPG would be a standard pressure gauge?

Nope, Submersible pressure gauge

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom