Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Divers Removing Old Fishing Nets

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199

Divers Removing Old Fishing Nets

Here's a neat little story about commercial divers removing discarded fishing nets - thanks to some economic stimulus package funding.

Stimulus money pays fishermen to snare lost nets - CNN.com

I might refrain from complaining about government spending for 24 hours in honor of that.

Okay, maybe 12 hours.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    yeah, until three months from now when pelosi, obama, reid and crew start paying fishermen to drop more nets!

Scuba Instructor

I live... I burn with life...
    I love... I slay... and am
    content.- Conan

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    at least a little of the $$$ went to something other than auto industry, wall street, and banks, maybe we could get a little stimulus money and wrap lawyers and politicians in the nets, sink 'em and create a self sustaining, organic reef/ fish feeder would solve our biggestg problem and reinvigorate fish at the same time
    WASTIN' AWAY AGAIN....

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Hope that stimulus money reaches groups like Kurt Lieber's Ocean Defenders Alliance. We're still trying to remove the rest of the net from the wreck of the squid boat Infidel which sank due to the captain's greed to pull in one more haul apparently with the load in his boat unbaffled causing the vessel to list and sink.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    CNN has now added a video about it:

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

They briefly show a diver in action. Not scuba, though. Hose from the surface.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    Photos
    Umm.... wasnt it commercial fishermen that caused the nets to be there in the first place, and the "ghost" traps you find at times. they should regulate commercial net sales and fine people that arnt either rigging a new boat or replacing damaged nets (most of the net needing turned in upon purchase or face a fine) Its great that they are trying to clean up the ocean but to kinda reward people that may have been careless about the nets and added to the waste in the first place I find kinda reduculous

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    I agree that commercial fishing vessels should be held accountable for "ghost" nets. The owner or the insurance company should have been required to pay for the removal of the net from thew Infidel in our waters. Why should we divers have to expend so much effort to clean up after them?

There have been proposals to have nets sold with identification labels so that when they are discovered abandoned, they can be traced back to the owner.
    Dr. Bill: I once had a 6-pack but now I have a full keg... well, maybe just a pony!
    Dr. Bill: Not THAT kind of doctor... but I'll take a look at it anyway!

Kelp forest marine life images, DVD's for sale, and archived "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns
    Single or Buddyless? Check out SingleDivers.com or PM me!

Mental toss flycoon
    Go Red - Support SB!

still looking for a clue

Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Most of these nets have been down for decades ... they don't disintegrate quickly at all, and they continue to trap and kill continuously. Many of the dive sites I frequent are covered in these things, and they're not just a hazard to divers, but to the schools of fish and birds (yes ... birds) that frequent these sites.

There's been a volunteer effort going on for years to identify and remove ghost nets in Puget Sound ... but the sheer volume of nets is daunting.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
    It was just below freezing and snow was falling steadily. As we stepped toward that portal separating a cold and dreary world from the tranquility and wonder of another dimension teeming with life and color a passer-by shook his head and muttered "crazy". Poor fool. If he only knew. (Airsix)

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    SOme times they are from other Nations. A few years ago we were watching a video of the Doria off of Nantucket with a guy named Ivar Babb at the National Underwater Research Center (NURC) at UCONN, he took one look at a net shown in the video and said it was Russian.
    Pete Johnson
    Diver
    Marine Historian & Researcher

Registered

says breathing compressed
    gas is sublime

Dives
    200 - 499
    I must be the same stimulus pot of money paying some watermen in the lower Chesapeake to recover old crab pots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast