Trim and Bouancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually wanted to ask this question a few weeks ago before I went diving with my new gear but...

Will being more horizontal in the water help you control your bouyancy better?

I finally got my own BC, a back inflate. I've only used jacket style before this. The first few dives with it, it seemed like I wasn't doing that newbie elevator thing as much!

It could also be that they were shorter shallower dives, so we had more air at the end of the dives than usual. Or maybe I just finally got my weight right and started to get the hang of it. Can it really just start to come together like that all of a sudden from one dive to the next?

I was thinking since one of the reasons you want to be horizontal is to make it easier to swim, because of less drag from your legs. That it would also help you accend and decend slow, because of more resistance up and down. Is this true?

grunzster once bubbled...

I was thinking since one of the reasons you want to be horizontal is to make it easier to swim, because of less drag from your legs. That it would also help you accend and decend slow, because of more resistance up and down. Is this true?

yup....that's the working theory anyway.....why go up vertical if you're trying to slow your ascent, wouldn't you want more resistance in the direction of travel?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom