a mask clearing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarcusCarr

Reaction score
I bought my first mask and took it out to the pool to try it out yesterday. Two things became apparent. The mask fit is perfect. If I put the mask on, out of water and without a strap, it will stay on my face for a long time. More than ten minutes, without breathing in through my nose to recreate suction. That is the good part.

The problem I am confused about is why, when under water, does it purge out the sides? It is a non-purge mask, and when I blow out underwater the bottom stays sealed and the bubble comes out to the sides of my eyes. I tried pressing slightly on the top of the mask, and the purge still comes out the sides.

I found that if I slide a finger under each straps and hold the sides against my face, I am able to make it purge the air out the bottom.

Here are my questions.

Should the mask purge water to the bottom without the use of hands.

Will I run into problems if I need to use 2 hands to purge a mask?

The mask seals so well that I doubt I will experience leaks. I wonder if it is even something to worry about, since I don't plan on taking my mask off underwater anyway. Is this correct?

Thanks,
Marcus

In answer to your question...don't worry about it...they all do, it won't affect mask clearing in the slightest.

Second...hehehe...you will be taking your mask off underwater...it's fun and easy, it really is.

Don't sweat it at all, you'll do fine!:)

Once I had mine kicked clean off by another diver; I've been kicked such that it flooded a couple of times.

Actually if you're correctly trimmed and horizontal, you normally will clear out the sides of the mask -- if you look left you'll press on the left side of the mask (top in this orientation) and the water will flow out the right side.

If you're vertical, you might try pressing on the upper part of the glass rather than the frame to seal the sides a bit better. Just experiment where you press.

Roak

Thanks for the input guys. I did notice that I could clear to the side using only one hand, but i didn't know how well this would go over with the SSI trainer. My first class is on Monday.

-Marcus

Back
Top Bottom