Rescue class in a backplate and wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Has anyone here done a rescue class, in backplate and wings? Got any experiences to share?

Did other people in the class have backplates as well, or traditional BCs?

I did my rescue course in my bp/wing with a long hose. No problem. The others in the course had the same set up. And I have played victim for a rescue course in my bp wing where the students were in traditoinal jacket style bc's. Still no problem.

As for tips. Chicken winging the arm helps get the harness off easier and when the wing isn't fully inflated. But of course in an actual rescue emergency situation the harness would just be cut off.

I have tought resuce classes to students wearing bp/wings while I of course was wearing them and I never noticed a problem.

As far as how to...that's the point of the class. You never know what problems you'll run into during an assist or rescue. you need to think on your feet and adapt your methods to the situation. In preperation the more different things you paractice and experiment with the better.

Of course not all instructors will see it the same way I do.

I had no problem in my BP/wings. BTW-I found if you undo the harness, and push the BP toward the divers read end with your hand on the top of the BP, behind his/her head, sliding it under the diver toward their feet, it is relatively easy to remove a BP/wing from an unconcious diver on the surface. This way the arms straps on the harness are pulled down the divers arms, so you don't have to fuss with pulling their arms through their straps.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom