American Diver Breaks World Record in Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

A world record was broken in Belize today. It was the record for the longest salt water dive. The old record was 36 hours and Robert Silva, an American citizen from Chicago, who had to spend at least 36.5 hours continuously under water to beat it. The rules were simple, he must spend more than the 36.5 hours under saltwater continuously. In addition – he must have spent at least 20 minutes at a depth of 20 feet. Sounds simple enough and on Monday morning at 10:30, Silva headed out to the Hol chan Marine Reserve on a boat from Ramon’s Village. 48 hours later at 10:30 this morning he remerged and 7News was there. Keith Swift has the story.

You'd think the press in Belize would know better than to repeat that old mistake of calling air tanks "oxygen". Or maybe he breathed oxygen so he wouldn't get saturated; it didn't say. I wonder if he got cold, and what he wore. And how deep was he?

I would be more impressed if it was on a single AL80 lol! :wink:

Good on him tho...I bet he is way beyond prune mode!

Carolyn:shark2:

I would be more impressed if it was on a single AL80 lol! :wink:

Good on him tho...I bet he is way beyond prune mode!

Carolyn:shark2:

I'd be impressed if it was double 120's!

You'd think the press in Belize would know better than to repeat that old mistake of calling air tanks "oxygen". Or maybe he breathed oxygen so he wouldn't get saturated; it didn't say. I wonder if he got cold, and what he wore. And how deep was he?

The dive was done on air for 3/4 of the dive, and then the last 1/4 was done on 32% nitrox for preparations to surface. I really didn't start to feel very cold till the second night. The Reefnet sensus Ultra's I had to log the dive showed the temp to be between 88 and 87 degrees for most of the dive. Both also logged a drop in temp the second night down to 84 degrees. For thermal protection I was in an Mares Isotherm Semi-Dry.

very cool indeed congrats it must of been strange to "sleep"

very cool indeed congrats it must of been strange to "sleep"

I don't remember getting much sleep. I recall about 20 minutes of sleep, but my team says I got about 3 hours. I guess they would know better they were watching me.

The whole event was very exciting.

It was done as a fund raiser for The American Cancer Society. Only time will tell if it was worth it.

Awesome! Congrats Robert!!

Very cool Robert! What gear did you use?

Darell

Back
Top Bottom