Out of the water for a while

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rr75

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I was OW certified in Hawaii back in January/February. I racked up 12 dives during/since certification, but the most recent was back in February...so I've been out of the water (at least as scuba is concerned) for about 5 months now.

I'm looking to dive more, and locally (that being Monterey, CA most likely), and even have a few dive buddies (with more experience) lined up. And while I've done a dozen dives (and did quite well, I was told), all were in warm water from a boat, not in cold water from shore, as I imagine my dives locally would be.

Being safety-conscious (and new), I'm figuring that I need or want some training/experience/refresher/class/something that'll prepare me for diving in California. In your experience, would that be another class (AOW?), a refresher course (since it's been 5 months), or something else? I've heard stories about cold and kelp here, and I'm sure it's quite different from Hawaii...I just don't know how different.

All opinions and ideas welcome. (And if you're local and have a shop/instructor recommendation for those in this situation, it's especially welcome.) Thanks!

I was out of the water for 17 years...heh

If you'd like more training, and help getting into the California waters, I recommend Diver Dans in Santa Clara...I'll send you the names of a few instructors I know there.

Just make sure you have the right wetsuit, hood, booties, etc., and take it slow...There is no race, and you should take your time to get familiar with things...

You'll do fine. :)

scubasean--make sure you get the proper gear for that environment. An advanced class, taught by instructors in that area would be of more benefit than a refresher course, IMHO.

If you choose to go with buddies make sure that they are willing to take the time to "show you the ropes" and stay with you as the weakest link in the team. With experience and practice you will gain the necessary skills.

I would think that a scuba review course would be a good start. For the couple of hours you would invest in it, as long as it was well taught, would be a good idea. If for nothing else but to review the tables and get familiar with the gear again. I would then proably try to get a couple of dives in with some experianced guys, then do AOW. I was out of the water for about five years and thought it was like riding a bike, how hard could it be. I was wrong. I have never dove in that part of the country you are in, but I would think the guys at the LDS could reccomend any equipment you might need. (MHO)

Good luck

I disagree with the Scuba Review class.

It's not been very long since you've been out in the water, you're looking at diving a different location and environment, the colder waters of California. An Advanced class would be great in this situation. It's the next step up, so it will have plenty of review of what you've already learned and a few more things. It's by no means a difficult class and it's pretty fun. You'll get a great orientation to diving in the Bay Area with a class at a local dive shop. You'll be introduced to what you can expect to encounter in this area, like kelp for instance, as well as deeper diving, (not all that much deeper than you were diving), night diving, boat diving, etc. You'll have a great time and get much if not all of these concerns addressed. I am glad that you pointed out that you are safety concious and new, that's a great attitude to have and keep.

In fact, no matter how long a person's been diving, unless you've been born with gills and fins, we're all new and learning.

So, go head first into finding the instructor that best suits you and go do that advanced class. You'll be glad you did it. After, take a trip to Monterey and Pacific Grove, there's some great diving to be had there too and it's truly beautiful.

I know, I drone on and on and on... :eek:)

I agree with Scuabsean, take an AOW class. I took mine 3 months after OW and only had 17 dives by then.

I dive in Monterey, the best part of the class was getting an orientation to new dive sites. The class made me a lot more comfortable with diving Monestary too.

The instructor's tips on form and bouancy were great too. I had little habits that were on their way to becoming big bad habits so I'm glad I took the class when I did.

Just a quick question.. is it necessary to refresh after being out of the water for 6 months??? I have not dove since September 2002, due to an ear injury. I would have dove till around November before calling it a season, and started back up in March/April, (I live in Ontario, and don't fancy the idea of diving beneath ice :eek: )

I feel confident, that I have not forgotten anything, and I read alot about diving, so it keeps my memory straight on procedures. If we required everyone to recert or refresh after a few months absence, then the Agencies / LDS would make a killing esp in colder climates. (Don't tell PADI they may require it). I understand that rr75's situation is a bit different, in that he only completed his OW then did a few dives before the absence, and he is changing locations, and dive equipment.

Just a question

Dale

Some people have recommended a review class and others have recommended an AOW. If you follow the later route be very careful in choosing your instructor.

I was in a similar situation as you and took an AOW because I thought it would help refresh my skills and I'd learn about local diving. My instructor was incompetent and I didn't find out until he'd gotten my credit card.

An good AOW class could be will helpful but I would definately look around first. If you have any specific question about shops or instructors I'm sure there are people on the board from your area so don't be afraid to ask -- you might find some dive buddies that way too!

Cornfed

divebuddydale once bubbled...
Just a quick question.. is it necessary to refresh after being out of the water for 6 months??? ... <snip> ... I understand that rr75's situation is a bit different, in that he only completed his OW then did a few dives before the absence, and he is changing locations, and dive equipment.

I think it depends on the diver.
Someone (like you I assume) that dives a lot but can't dive year round probably doesn't need to take a refresher. If someone only logged a few dives after certification then they would definately proceed slowly. They might not need a formal refresher but a couple easy dives with someone more experienced won't hurt.

Cornfed

If you don't want to spend the bucks for an advanced class right now you can also do a discover local diving class. Much cheaper and it will give you the refresher you need.

An advanced class is probably the better route to go, but I would recommend you tell your instructor that this is your first time in Ca. waters.

Pick your instructor carefully.

Have fun

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom