Could you make a liveing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would help it you liked sleeping in a hammock on the beach, even in storms, didn't care much about eating more than one meal a day, and had no need for electricity or anything electrical, and never expected to own a house or have a family or significan other that relied on you for income, but you could make a living at it.

Diversauras once bubbled...
It would help it you liked sleeping in a hammock on the beach, even in storms, didn't care much about eating more than one meal a day, and had no need for electricity or anything electrical, and never expected to own a house or have a family or significan other that relied on you for income, but you could make a living at it.

Otherwise, Genesis will jump all over ya.

Whether you think cardboard is a great house building material and whether rubbish bins are the modern drive through restaurants...heheh. Basically, the more qualifications you have, the more of a living you can make. Where in the world you work also makes a difference. But the real money is in owning a successful dive business, then the life style may be the drawcard.
You could end up roughing it in a hammock, or go without a t.v.
If your not a drinker of alcohol, then you better have alot of books or a great video collection, otherwise there can be alot of after hours boredom in the isolated dive spots in the world.
It is really worth thinking about what you want before you get into it. It may be worth doing it part time. If you have a family, then forget it. In NZ, we have some of the best paid professionals in the business and they are on low to medium pay levels. Most other parts of the world use a room and board policy, with a small salary, or it may be commision based, which can fluctuate. The best money is probably made by a PADI course director, but it cost tens of thousands in training to get to that level. It might pay to talk to some of the professionals in your area and see what they have to say. Especially the older, more experienced one. I am an instructor, and am making 2 times what I could in the industry if I worked full time as an instructor.
Hope that helps

Cheers Inquisitive ears,
The Gasman

:D

Alex6...you don't realize what you just did! You just coaxed the Gasman out of hiding and into replying to your thread!..I had heard he was eaten by a shark off the coast of Australia or something.
I guess that puts that old rumor to rest. :wink:

Howdy Gasman!.. Haven't heard from you in awhile. Good to see ya back on the board!

Cheers! Incognito Ears!

Has nobody told you that the ONLY way to make a million owning a dive shop is to start with 5 million???

It was like the old owning a boat addage. The 2 happiest days were the day I opened the store, and the day I sold it!

But, honestly, you CAN make a living in scuba. You just have to find the job you like the most and work really hard at it. Just like anything else.

And, as far as money and Course Director goes. Being a CD is a great way to make a good living. Padi or Naui really matters not. NAUI is no less a difficult route to follow, but I can tell you it is generally a much more accessible route than PADI is to most. Remember, though, your instructor canditates aren't going to hunt you out. Just like with any other business you need to farm them, raise them, swipe them, and pretty much scratch and claw to keep things going consistantly. Just being a CD isn't going to automatically draw you students.

Just don't go into scuba as a career thinking it's the beach, caribbean, bikinis, warm water and fun. Way too many people make that mistake. It's a lot of work, so-so pay for a LONG time, and some really tedious tasks before you finally get where you want to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom