Support your Dive shop- Local or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive Right In Scuba

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am sure this will spur some healthy debate...

So there has been alot of talk about the Scuba industry and whether or not they have the "Right" business model or not. There is some decent money(total) in the scuba industry (a pimple compared to almost any other industry) but most of it doesn't make it back into the industry.

This is why its important to support your Dive Shop.

So hear me out....You need some new dive gear. You go and buy it from a Huge online name that has, what you hear, the best prices. You buy $1000 worth of equipment. Where does that money go? Does that Online store do classes? Are they looking for new dive opportunities for you? Are they doing Trips to keep you diving? Are they finding new products and showing you how to use them properly? Do they take the time to help you in places like....Scubaboard? Are they even DIVERS???? Probably NOT! They are just in it for your money.

Is anything wrong with that? NOPE- that is their business model

You need some new dive gear-- Instead you go and buy it at your local shop, you ask him to meet the price...he does?!! WOW...Oh, and he has big plans to help revamp your local quarry...I wonder how he can afford that?

You go to an online shop, a REAL Dive Shop that also does online sales....pricing is the same as that big guy and these guys know ALOT more about diving this stuff and can give me more real world examples of themselves using it and how I can use it. This guy could be local or distant....but the difference is, they are a SHOP.
They are looking to be around diving, attract divers, keep divers diving, and actually keep me diving and having fun. They support us in online forums with their knowledge, the email or call me with products they remember I want vs. what they are trying to sell, they run trips that keep dive destinations open....some of the same places I will travel and I hope stay around. They actual DIVE!

You don't like your local shop, fine, nothing wrong with that. There are many Dive Shops out there. Maybe not local to you, but there are ALOT of us that are out here in the online world. We are REAL dive shops looking to scrap for your business and change the industry FOR YOU! We look for new ways to grow Diving, not just take money out of the sport or make a quick few bucks.

Is this thread a plug for DRIS? NO, its a plug for ALL of the Dive Shops out there, whether it's your awesome local shop that goes the extra mile for you or the online Shop who you flew out to dive with and hang out because they "get it" and you want to support them.

We know you have ALOT of choices for spending your money...I encourage you to spend it wisely! But if you can spend the same dollar amount with a shop that will dump some of it back in to furthering diving (new students to feed the manufacturers, new ideas from diving, promoting diving, keeping you diving, etc.) or a shop that will just take your money and spend it elsewhere----

Who would you rather support?

This is NOT a thread for Online vs. LDS! This is a thread to support those that support and want to further diving, not those just trying to make a buck off it.

There are alot of people worried about the dive industry, and they are trying to change it dramatically. The real problem is we need to root out the bad shops by supporting the good ones. Whether local or not!

SUPPORT A DIVE SHOP! There are ALOT supporting you here on SB and in your local area.

From a LDS owner, bravo thats the attitude this "industry" needs to stay healthy.

Yes. Kudos to you for taking that approach. I buy everything from my LDS (only one for 100 miles) but there are selfish reasons. When I complete my DM I'm more likely to be hired. Also, they do a good job with equipment, so I feel safe with it. But, I'm affraid whatever happens re LDS vs. online will just wind up being the way it is. Like people who download music (legally and illegally), helping to elliminate live music, which is much more desirable. Hang in there.

Yes. Kudos to you for taking that approach. I buy everything from my LDS (only one for 100 miles) but there are selfish reasons. When I complete my DM I'm more likely to be hired. Also, they do a good job with equipment, so I feel safe with it. But, I'm affraid whatever happens re LDS vs. online will just wind up being the way it is. Like people who download music (legally and illegally), helping to elliminate live music, which is much more desirable. Hang in there.

We are doing fine, we offer both and have alot of loyal customers that we have to thank!

The thing is, if most of the dive shops disappear, you will lose LOTS of new divers. Independents have a shelf life of 2-3 years and don't do near the numbers of a dive shop. There are exceptions, but not many.

Students will diminish, Gear manufacturers will lose sales because of less students. There go gear choices and innovative products...there just won't be the $$ to spend so freely on innovation.

Dive Destinations will become even more touristy....Have you been to Bonaire? 5 Years ago- AWESOME If you have been there this year, VIZ sucks the cruise ships are mucking everything up...But hey, diving is down, we have to stimulate our economy somehow.

The big online guys that remain for a little while, w...but in ALOT smaller number and offerings. They simply will not be able to do the same numbers as in the past due to low attendance in Scuba....just not enough people signing up after driving past the dives shop and doing an impulse buy. Without people signing up, nobody to sell gear to...Then they too will dry up...the manufacturers will sell straight to the end user to try and get more business...Goodbye Big online guys and hello Manufacturer sales...Everything just gets smaller :wink:

I am not trying to be all doom and gloom by ANY means! I just see some foreshadowing of the future with how some manufacturers are talking. If as divers, we don't support those that are furthering diving, who will? They won't...they are worried about themselves and surviving---

The big thing is to keep support. There are plenty of online guys who give back and try to help diving. I was in rooms full of them at DEMA. The consumer just needs to show the support of the ones doing it the right way....Just buying from the BIG guy who doesn't give back, won't keep diving around.

LOL---WOW--- I can't believe I started a thread like this---

SUPPORT YOUR DIVE SHOP :D LOCAL OR ONLINE --- SUPPORT DIVERS not Bankers! :D

Like people who download music (legally and illegally), helping to elliminate live music, which is much more desirable. Hang in there.

Gee, I thought it only eliminates the mostly record company profits from CD sales; are artists really stopping their touring because of downloading?

Dive Destinations will become even more touristy....Have you been to Bonaire? 5 Years ago- AWESOME If you have been there this year, VIZ sucks the cruise ships are mucking everything up...But hey, diving is down, we have to stimulate our economy somehow.

Oh ... PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO! That would be a waste of the best dive destination in the Caribbean, to my concern ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Oh ... PLEASE SAY IT AIN'T SO! That would be a waste of the best dive destination in the Caribbean, to my concern ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just had a group come back from Boniare....Vis was crappy and you can hear the screws of the cruise ships in the water. They are looking at add even more Cruise Ship ports too...:shakehead:

I support several local dive stores, including Leisure Pro. They have a full service store, instructors on staff, a good repair tech etc. I've actually seen their staff spend more time explaining products to potential customers than some of the stores that are closer to where I live.

So, yes, support dive stores, Leisure Pro is a local store for all those divers who live/work/travel to NYC.

Good topic. I believe pretty much the same way. I do bring the internet price to my LDS and often they can match the price. If they come within 10% or so, I buy from the LDS. The reason is support. I bring my gear in and they help me to get the fit right, or get it working, or give me a spare while it's out being fixed, or any of a hundred other advantages that are not present online. I'm willing to support the LDS to get the personal touch that cannot be accomplished online.

[=
Dive Right In Scuba;4899019]We are doing fine, we offer both and have alot of loyal customers that we have to thank!

The thing is, if most of the dive shops disappear, you will lose LOTS of new divers. Independents have a shelf life of 2-3 years and don't do near the numbers of a dive shop. There are exceptions, but not many.

Having returned to diving somewhat recently, I made the decision to find, and use, an good LDS. Fortunately I have been very successful. Can I find better deals on-line? Sure. But even if it costs a bit more at the LDS, the personal attention, the ability to pool-test new equipment, the lengthy discussions associated with making the right choices, and just the general comraderie make it the best choice for me.

I think your post is quite to the point and we do need to support those how support the sport.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom