Need advice on a tough question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVP

Reaction score
Normal, IL USA (yes, that is a real city)
Ok, here goes.

The setup:

My fiance and I are not DIR divers yet, but we are currently in the processess of "mixing up the kool-aid". We dive Halcyon BP/Wings with a 5' long hose on our primary second stages and a bungied backup second stage.

This equipment switch was a HUGE change for my fiance. She had previously used only jacket inflate bc's. The first couple of times she used the rig she was very nervous and her bouancy totally sucked. I deciced that for her to become more comfortable, maybe it would be good if she and I did some work in the pool during the next "Discover Scuba" night that our local dive shop offers.

"Discover Scuba" is in conjunction with their open water course, in which anyone can try out breathing under water (since you can't learn anything more than that).

So last night, we go to the pool. The minute we start gearing up, the divemasters start ripping us a little bit. We got comments on the crotch strap, hose length, etc. I decended a bit before my fiance and one divemaster swam over to her and said that "he was very concerned about our long hoses, as he had seen someone in the phillipines get a long hose caught on a wreck and get stuck".

So we shrug those off, and get to work. I must admit, I am not awesome with my bouyancy, but I can stay off of the bottom no problem. My fiance got MUCH more comfortable.

Now that she got her bouyancy down better, we start to work on S-drills and kicks. No problem here either.

BUT...about this time, the open water students come over to the deep end. As we are trying to avoid their crazy antics, one of the divemasters comes up to us under water, and is trying to straighten our legs out. We surface and explain that we are diving a somewhat different style that uses different kick styles, etc. and he says "you don't need that crap. you want to be more prone in the water with your legs extended out. that is where all of your power comes from. You won't ever be in a situation where you will need to kick like that, and if you are, you will need to get out of there as soon as possible so you can kick like normal".

By this time, I was pretty pi**ed off. All I wanted to do was work with my fiance without anybody messing with us. The bad thing about the whole situation is that we are very good friends with the diveshop owner. We really can't tell these guys to go get bent without damaging that relationship with our LDS.

My question is how would you have handled this situation? Any advice for further encounters?

Thanks!

My question is how would you have handled this situation? Any advice for further encounters?
I wouldn't have handled it as well as you did, that's for sure :D . Obviously this guy is strictly a pool monkey and sticks to less challenging diving since he not only had no idea what your equipment configuration was about but also had no knowledge of propulsion methods that are more appropriate for differing environments.

You are right, this isn't a DIR thing at all. Anyone who is experienced and worth their salt (regardless of diving style or agency affiliation) will know that certain gear configurations, skill sets, and propulsion methods are more suited to certain environments than others. I would just blow him and others off and be thankful that you aren't limited to hand-hold dives in 30' of water for the rest of your life :wink: .

and that's why it is so popular.

1) Avoid pool situations like this.
A) Find another pool.
B) Use that pool at a different time.
=> Most pools will let certified divers in without much problem.

2) Thank them for their help and then ignore them. Don't let them rile you up so.

3) Find other pre-DIR divers in your area to hang with. You might get more people if you refer to your system as a modified Hogarthian set-up.

Well, if the owner of the LDs and you are firends, you should at least be able to hold a converstaion with him about where you want to go wtih your diving. If he is a good friend, he'll support your decision....

As for the pool, almost every pool I have ever workd at had no problem letting divers in to work on XYZ so long as they didn't pose any safety concern to someone going off the boards in the deep end.

BTW...keep practicing, it is the only way to get better, and good luck!!!

I appreciate both of your quick responses, O-ring and Netdoc. You experience preceeds both of you, and I value your opinions.

When it comes to DIR, my fiance and I are the lone wolves in the pack. In our area, central Illinois, we have a lot of yuppies that only vacation dive. This even includes the instructors and divemasters, so we don't have any other people with similar equipment/safety/goals/etc.

It was VERY difficult for me to keep quiet last night. I so wanted to lay into this guy and let him know that he didn't know what the hell he was talking about. I think part of the problem is that my fiance and I are pretty young (I'm 24, she's 26), so these guys think that they can push us around.

first, were you paying for the pool time or using it on the stores dime. I'm not condoning the apparently ignorant behavior of the DM but unless you set somthing else up with them before hand, your in someone elses house, you play by their rules. Otherwise its best to stay home IMO.

Just a different angle to look at it from. Honestly, i wouldn't have done much different than you did except if they didn't listen to reasonable explanations i would have told him to pi$$ off. However, i would be much less prone to do so if i was in the pool at the good will of someone else.

gedunk once bubbled...
first, were you paying for the pool time or using it on the stores dime. I'm not condoning the apparently ignorant behavior of the DM but unless you set somthing else up with them before hand, your in someone elses house, you play by their rules. Otherwise its best to stay home IMO.

Just a different angle to look at it from. Honestly, i wouldn't have done much different than you did except if they didn't listen to reasonable explanations i would have told him to pi$$ off. However, i would be much less prone to do so if i was in the pool at the good will of someone else.

We did not pay for the pool session. The shop owner allowed us to use the same pool they were using while the open water course was going on. The shop doesn't own the pool. This particular one was on ISU's campus.

I guess that it is good that I didn't explode on them. I just don't know how I can continue to put up the nice guy front in the future.

I agree with Big-t, if your friends with the owner, talk to him, let him know what your doing and why. If your friends, i'm sure he will tell the DM to cool his jets, even if the owner is not DIR.

Don't be too hard on the DM, he is only doing what he thinks is right for you. Divers and egos, egos and divers, many think they are larger than life .... few divers are as great as their egos make them believe.:wink:

gedunk once bubbled...
.... few divers are as great as their egos make them believe.:wink:

my ego grows as the pile of empty beer cans gets higher and higher...is this what you're talking about????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom