Looking for feedback on the Aqua Lung Zuma BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not dove one but as it happens I was looking at one this afternoon at a LDS. To put it in perspective, I dive a Zeagle Scout and more recently a Express Tech, both light weight stripped down travel BCs. It looks OK but it has a lot of unnecessary padding in the shoulder straps and back. Padding takes up room, adds weight and holds water, not what I would be looking for in a travel/ lightweight BC. I see no reason for it, wider straps yea but this was thick fluffy padding that is in not needed. Then on the other extreme the straps for the shoulder adjustments are way too light IMO, instead of the normal 2 in wide straps, these were a lot thinner...an inch or so and not as thick as normal. Plus there were no pull rings on the ends of the straps, adjusting the straps is going to require you to grasp the thin strap material instead of putting a finger in a ring.
Overall opinion, too much padding and then to compensate they reduced the quality of the harness and removed nice to have rings. Being a back inflate it should dive Ok but not a BC I would consider, esp when the price is around $100 more than a Scout.

Anyone actually gone diving with a Zuma? I am curious about how it is diving with it.

I just got back from Curacao & Bonaire, where I did 28 dives in my new Zuma- loved it! Great for travel. Felt like a feather in the water and was very comfortable. My buddy had one as well and she had no complaints. The only issues I had were:
A. I'd like a big D ring on the shoulder strap somwhere to clip accessories onto (compass, whistle, light)
B. It doesn't have enough "form" to make the shoulder straps stand up on their own, so when putting it on, it can be a little tricky to reach your second arm into the strap.

Are either of those a big deal? Absolutely not...just preferences. I think that AQ did a great job. I dive an Apeks WTX system at home and have a Balance for warm water. The Zuma was perfect for this last trip- warm water, not much gear. Would I go wreck diving in it? No. For what I consider "easy" vacation diving where I didn't want to take much luggage, it was perfect!

I agree about the thin straps and no form when donning. I also find it difficult when there is a long wait on the surface to stay face up

I actually dove one of these in the pool yesterday. I was very pleasantly surprised when I was underwater! This thing really conformed to my body and was super comfy.

To address the straps and padding. These straps are more than sufficient on my pack frame (which regularly holds 70+ lbs for packing out camps/meat when hunting). The padding is just a nice light feature to make the BC more comfy out of the water.

I was a little worried about the bladder durability but Aqualung has a lifetime warranty on it so they must be confident with it.

The price is pretty good and I think it is perfect for its intended use.

I own a first generation Zuma and they are great for travel. I do not like the integrated weights so I cut mine off, with this the Zuma is more stream lined than a wing, and weight only oz's. The issue I had is when I was putting on my steel 120 cu/ft tank the tank strap tore through the bladder destroying the bcd. I went back to LDS an found in the second generation they have reinforcing around the tank strap area, but they have not offered a recall on the first generation bcd. The trim is nice, but I only got about 50 dives out of the BCD before it was done, so not a long service life. If you only do a dive vacation once a year and do a couple dive then it is worth the money.

My girlfriend recently did 20 dives with it in Cozumel and she loved it... we also met another diver with the Zuma while we were there and he was quite happy with it also... That said, I am starting to wonder if saving few pounds in scuba equipment is worth the tradeoff in durability... In fact, I ended up selling mine... I took down a full Scubapro Dive & Roll bag with DiveRite Transpac + TravelEXP wing, 3mm wet suit, boots, 2 masks, full size fins, SMB, reel + clothes etc for 2 weeks and I was able to get it down below 50lbs... Only "travel-friendly" equipment I had was my Apeks Flight regulator...

Have 15 dives on my Zuma after 175 on a Scuba Pro Glide Plus. Compared to the full jacket the Zuma is like diving naked......or what one supposes THAT would feel like. Very comfortable even walking several hundred feet with the tank, plenty of D rings for me, dries quickly.

Went to St Croix with that, 5/4 full suit, Hot Shot fins, regulator, camera gear, a few clothes and managed carry it all on.

We'll see how durable it is, but so far love it.

Both my son and I have Zumas. I switched from a Nighthawk and love it. It is less restricting without the back plate and my boyancy has improved. It sets up a little differently then other BCs and some of the folks on the dive boats aren't aware so double check the height on the tank, they usually set it up with the tank too high. I have probably 40 dives with it now and love it. I can get all of our gear now in 1 suitcase and keep it under 50lbs.

B.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom