Swim requirements for advanced scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nubediver

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I have completed my scuba certification and have 2 open water dives. I would like to go for advanced scuba certification. I would like to know what the requirements would be. Especially for swimming. I am not a very good swimmer and I can complete the required 200 yards of swimming but not at a very fast pace. I am practising swimming to improve my swimming skills. I was wondering what are the swim requirements for advanced scuba diving? Any other things I should be prepared for?

With PADI, there are none. The next requirement is for Divemaster- timed swim of 400, 800 with mask, fins & snorkel, 100 tired diver tow and 15 min. float with last 2 mins. hands out of water. All 4 must be completed - times are set to give a score of 1-5 on each and you must have 12 points total.

At the AOW/ASD level, neither does NAUI.

However, since in-water comfort is so important to an enjoyable scuba diving experience, I would encourage you to continue practicing your swimming skills regardless of the agency requirements. After all, you're considering additional training for YOUR benefit ... not the agency's ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hello Friends,
I have completed my scuba certification and have 2 open water dives. I would like to go for advanced scuba certification. I would like to know what the requirements would be. Especially for swimming. I am not a very good swimmer and I can complete the required 200 yards of swimming but not at a very fast pace. I am practising swimming to improve my swimming skills. I was wondering what are the swim requirements for advanced scuba diving? Any other things I should be prepared for?

You should become a good swimmer not because of some minimal requirements for a certificate but to be a better and safer and more water comfortable diver and a fitter person. IMO, your goal should be one mile in 30 to 45 minutes and a one hour water tread. When you can do that you will be a "good" swimmer and a better diver. Drown proofing is not really taught as a water skill in scuba anymore :idk: but it should be.

Drownproofing

N

Can someone explain me why treading is important for general swimming, I'm not trying to pick but trying to understand. I never used it in my life or I was not aware that it was called as such. Is it required for some specific tasks ?

I did my AOW a year ago and there were no swimming requirements at that time. I personally find useful the swimming prerequisite for GUE's Fundamentals course:

"Must be able to swim at least 300 yards/275 meters in under fourteen minutes without stopping. This test should be conducted in a swimsuit and, where necessary, appropriate thermal protection."

"Must be able to swim a distance of at least 16 yards/15 meters on a breath hold.''

I took my NAUI OW at my university, and we had some basic swimming requirements just to get into the class. I know this isn't at all common; I sort of assumed it was to weed out people who wouldn't pass the checkouts. They were: 25 yard breath hold, 350 yards in 9 minutes, 10 minutes treading water (no arm restrictions) and a 5lb pickup from 8' of water. The only one I found particularly challenging was the breath hold swim.

Can someone explain me why treading is important for general swimming, I'm not trying to pick but trying to understand. I never used it in my life or I was not aware that it was called as such. Is it required for some specific tasks ?

I don't know why treading water is importnat in general swimming but if you dive, especially from a boat, being generally comfortable in the water is a good idea. Being able to tread water while a boat comes to find you could be the difference between life and death.

I don't know why treading water is importnat in general swimming but if you dive, especially from a boat, being generally comfortable in the water is a good idea. Being able to tread water while a boat comes to find you could be the difference between life and death.

... that's assuming that before the boat gets there you somehow manage to lose your BCD, fins and exposure suit. Otherwise, just lay back and relax ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Back
Top Bottom