Stop the Madness!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DougFL

Reaction score
I just found this site recently and it has been extremely helpful re: certification information and basic equipment questions. With that said -

PLEASE MAKE A SEPERATE SECTION FOR BP/WING SET-UPS AND MAKE IT A CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO MENTION THEM MORE THAN ONCE IN ANY BC RELATED THREAD.

I was trying to read up on BC's and every thread I come across has been hijacked by the BP/W agrument. I posted a thread asking about a specific Poseidon BC and was told in the first reply to get a BP/W. I get it!!

Hate to be such a whiner so early, but you guys are killing me!

DougFL,
You're comments are legitimate and the zealots do get wearisome.
Welcome to the board and don't give up too soon. There's a lot of good folks and info available here.
Dive Safe,
Larry

I'm not even all that new, and I am tired of all the BP/wing comments.:rolleyes:

Yeah, I can feel your pain too. I mean, why would you want anyone to warn you that a jacket BC may not really be appropriate for the cave and wreck diving you have in mind...

:rolleyes:

The quality of trolling here has really gone down of late.

DougFL once bubbled...

PLEASE MAKE A SEPERATE SECTION FOR BP/WING SET-UPS AND MAKE IT A CRIMINAL OFFENSE TO MENTION THEM MORE THAN ONCE IN ANY BC RELATED THREAD.

I was trying to read up on BC's and every thread I come across has been hijacked by the BP/W agrument. I posted a thread asking about a specific Poseidon BC and was told in the first reply to get a BP/W. I get it!!

Hate to be such a whiner so early, but you guys are killing me!

Maybe you should listen and ask questions instead.

What makes you think they ain't right?

You may find that they're trying to save you from making a mistake, which they wish someone had done for them.

After all, most all of them owned a BC first, then chose a backplate.

Wonder why that is...

Hasn't that question ever occured to you?

Stickin your fingers in your ears won't make you a better diver.

Until you've test drove a BP/W, you just seem ignorant not wanting to know about them.

I know scores of people who've switched from BC to BP/W.

I don't know -anyone- who's switched back.

metridium,

Sorry about the misuse of "wreck diving." I just meant looking at the fish, coral, and structure and not entering the wreck. I don't plan on any cave diving or anything technical (I don't even know what that means) either.

I've read tons of threads on BP/W and I buy into it. All I'm saying is that when people want to talk about something else, politely mention that BP/W is a great option (once - twice tops) and then let them go.

Popeye,

Just read your reply. My fingers aren't in my ears and if I strike you as ignorant I'll just have to live with that. I have read probably thousands of posts regarding BP/W, and I'm convinced it is a terrific set-up. What I'm saying is that some people like BC's and deserve to be given information too. If someone has already relpied that they should try BP/W, let it go at that. If the originator of the thread (the person looking for info) has read even two threads in here they are fully aware of the benefits of BP/W.

Different horses for different courses
hehe I like that saying :D

Hey if you are a recreational diver and have no desire to get into deep, wreck or cave diving a traditional BCD is great.

I have two complete setups, one for teaching and recreational diving and it works a dream, it is a Mares Vector 100, it will never carry more than one tank. It feels great under water and I love diving in it.

I Also have a BP and wing setup with my twins on, it is also a champion rig It will never carry a single tank. It is my deep rig, and the last thing I want to do is pull it down for recreational diving. Took me to long to get it just right.

So all the BPW divers take heart there are people out there that have no intrest in caves, wrecks or Technical diving, for these people the BCD is a fine choice and if they purchase a good one will last them through many years and many thousands of dives.

Sydney_Diver wrote...
So all the BPW divers take heart there are people out there that have no intrest in caves, wrecks or Technical diving, for these people the BCD is a fine choice and if they purchase a good one will last them through many years and many thousands of dives.
Granted, but when someone posts:

DougFL wrote...
I'm fairly new to the sport, but plan on doing quite a bit of diving - mostly FLorida reefs, wrecks, and caves - in the near future.
....you can see how we could "misunderstand", especially about the caves.

:wink:

metridium,

You're right abou my post re: Poseidon BC being misleading. I just read my post re: Poseidon and it's way off. "Caves" must have come from reading too many threads. The guy who responed was right on!

This thread came more from my frustration in trying to research a quality recreational BC on scubaboard. Every thread I found to be interesting drifted off into a BP/W discussion.

Back
Top Bottom