Won't be doing night dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juls64

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am bummed. My husband & I signed up to do a night dive in Lake Michigan tomorrow night. Today we find out we are the only ones signed up. Well, we each have about 20 dives, have never done a night dive, and have only 2 dives each in Lake Michigan, so we told the dive shop we thought it was best not to go. We are waiting to hear back from them, as they are checking to see if they can find someone with a little more experience to go with us.

We had taken some time off work and everything to go, so it sorta sucks. Anyway, we might see if we can go a little earlier and dive before its dark. If its just the 2 of us, we would be OK with that.

Or maybe they will find someone else to go!

J.

;-0

You made the correct decision. If you aren't 100% certain don't dive. Night diving is my favorite type of diving but had I had an unpleasant experience on my first one I may have never tried again. And I would have missed some great dives. Do some night diving with some support and you'll love it.

Joe

Scubajoe has it right, you made the right call - discretion is the better part of valor, and you want to keep your stressors to a minimum when expanding your dive experineces. Take your time, do it when you are comfortable.

If you find that you are nervous, a great way to do your first night dive is to enter the water at dusk, keep it relatively shallow, so that you enter the water when there is still some light, but during your dive the sun goes all the way down, and you get to see the "changing of the guard" underwater, as the nighttime creatures come out. Having a good experience is the key to enjoying any type of diving.

Also, remember, you can always dive another day, as long as you are still breathing!

I recieved a call last night. The LDS called around and found an instructor to go with us. I guess another person is going too. The dive is on, with an instructor, and only 4 people on the 6-pack. Sounds like a good deal to me.

One of the benefits of being a good LDS customer, great service!

Juls

Juls64 once bubbled...
I recieved a call last night. The LDS called around and found an instructor to go with us. I guess another person is going too. The dive is on, with an instructor, and only 4 people on the 6-pack. Sounds like a good deal to me.Juls
Since this is your first night dive, it is probably still a good idea to start the dive when it is still twilight and you still have enough light to feel comfortable. Then you will be in the water and comfortable as full darkness comes.

I've noticed that during twilight is a good time for fish watching, as the daytime fish move back towards their nightime spots. Then there is a 1/2 hour dead period, where the daytime fish are holed up, but the night dwellers aren't yet active.

Enjoy!

That sounds like a good idea. I think I'll be a little nervous dropping down into Lake Michigan, in the dark. The instructor going with us is someone I know and that makes me alot more comfortable.

Juls:thumb:

My favorite time to dive is at sunset. I enjoy watching the sun set from 15 to 30 feet down off Malibu CA or Laguna BEach CA or even Palos Verde, CA - Great ocean diving. The day critters are holing up and dozing off and the night stuff is commng out and I get to put my gear on in the light.

I hope you enjoy your dive.

Go for it. Glad everthing worked out! Have a great time. Wish I could go.
Joe

Night diving is pretty awesome and I'm sure you will like it. Its a little late in the game, but I would suggesat you dive a spot you are familiar with from daytime diving. This will help ease your apprehension and you'll be suprised how much different your daytime sites are at night.
Have a good time!

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom