A weighted question

How much extra do you tie on?

• No difference, I just think a little heavier

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • 2-4 lbs

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • 5-10 lbs

Votes: 12 31.6%
  • When I go in the ocean I tie an anchor to my ankles.

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I multiply the total weight of me and my gear by .025

Votes: 6 15.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saying

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
How much weight difference do you apply between fresh and salt water?

If I remember correctly you should add approximately 2.5% of your total weight when weighted correctly in freshwater. This includes you, bc, tank, fins, weight belt, etc. This doesn't always work out perfectly but it's usually close.:wink: This only works when using the exact same setup as in freshwater.

Cheers

I start out with adding 6 pounds and then fine tune from there.

Take the weight of yourself plus all of your gear....multiply that times .02564 and you should be very close. 1.02564 comes from 64/62.4 and take off the 1 for you and your gear.
So reguardless what I wear in fresh water, and my gear and I weigh 255....I would need to add 6.5 lbs. (255X.02564)

So Lori is pretty spot on with her answer, unless you are very light or heavy.

As was plsdiver.....acutally 2.5641025641025641% :wink:

tony

in fresh water i'm wearing a full swuit (3 mil) with a hood and vest (2.5 mil),and i'm using 8 lbs. in salt water with a full suit i've been using 14 lbs. :patriot:

scubatexastony once bubbled...
actually 2.5641025641025641% :wink:
And that was for what salinity? ---- just kidding. The weighting variation is just a few ounces.

Seriously, it is better to be a pound or two heavy than a pound or two light. So for most people, if there is no gear change, adding 7 pounds going to saltwater, or removing 6 pounds going to fresh water is going to be pretty close.

With an Al80 and a 3/2 mil full and hood I use 10# in saltwater, 4# in fresh. Body weight 180#, gear weight including tanks and lead is about 60#.

If wearing the same gear and same tanks, I just add a flat 6#. I'm neutral in fresh water without any gear or lead, so multiplying by 1.025 comes to just a hair over 6# difference. My wetsuits don't seem to vary much between fresh and salt. My 7mm is about half a pound more buoyant in salt, so I don't add any lead for it. This has worked pretty good for me, and I weigh 250.

Where I dive if you wore a 3 mil suit for most of the year youd freeze your tukus off. I wear a full 7 mil farmer john style suit. The rule of thumb is 10% of your weight and add 3-4 for an aluminum tank. Now my suit is a little thread bare and I dive a LP steel 95 on boats so I use 14 lbs at 185 body weight. Dont know how that applies to your situation but thats my trim weight. Oh yes, if I'm diving shallow up under a surf line I add a couple pounds.
Bill

scubatexastony once bubbled...

So Lori is pretty spot on with her answer, unless you are very light or heavy.

As was plsdiver.....acutally 2.5641025641025641% :wink:

tony

Thanks for the accuracy! After using Lori's 2.5%, I should add approximately on dime and one penny to a pocket!

Just kidding! :wink: I like the way you answered with the ratio of density sw over fw, actually.

Back
Top Bottom