The Cost of Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know about a per dive cost, but I did sit down one day and start tallying up how much $$ I had spent in training, gear, travel, etc. since I started diving.

I quit counting after I crossed about $20k. Once I realized how much money I actually had invested in this "hobby" I decided I really didnt want to know.

I think it could be one of those "mastercard moments."

Dive Equipment: $8,000
Dive Trips and Training: $12,000

Floating weightlessly above a wreck at 200'...

PRICELESS!

Cave Diver once bubbled...
Once I realized how much money I actually had invested in this "hobby" I decided I really didnt want to know.

At this point, I don't really want to know, either.

It could be incriminating!:D

Probably $10,000 in equipment for me and my spouse, then there is the dive boat, the slip fees, the insurance .....But on the plus side membership in our airclub is $50.00 per yr per family, so air for a hundred or so dives each per year is about .40 a dive and that's the number I use to prove to my wife that it is a cheap hobby.

wetman once bubbled...
Has anyone actually figured out what their diving costs on a per-dive basis?
Yep.

Matt and I had this same thing going before. Last I checked I was somewhere in the $100 range (I'm probably lower, now) on a per-dive basis. That only includes equipment purchases, and not charter fees, entrance fees, etc. Definately could drive a man to drink.

wetman once bubbled...
Has anyone actually figured out what their diving costs on a per-dive basis?

steve

Take your annual income, deduct living expenses, divide the remainder by the number of dives in a season...

Actually I guess I will never be able to compute this. If there is money left at the end of the month then there is new equipment or another trip to go diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom