between dive regulator covers

Would you use a small bag with a drawstring to cover regs &/or computer between dives

• Yes, sound like a good way to keep the regs & computer from being dinged up

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Maybe. (Please post your reasons.)

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • No. Why complicate things.

Votes: 10 76.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think so...

but...

I would make sure that my regs, lights, and gauges were protected from something falling on them (tanks, weight belts, clumsy divers) between dives.

IMO, a bag doesn't really offer the protection you might think it does.

I don't think it's worth it. The emphasis should be on protecting your computer/console or air integrated computer. When I bought my Suunto Cobra I also bought the cover for it. It's not crush proof if a tank falls on it but it definetly protects it from more minor hazards. I cover it immediately after a dive. If on vacation I don't let boat crew members handle my reg setup either. It's the one piece of gear I handle myself as it is the most expensive. I don't want it bouncing around between tanks.:shades:

MNStarfish once bubbled...
I have recently seen small bag that fit over a regulator between dives. Would you use one?
Well using a 24" backup and 7' primary hose, on a boat I just switch tanks immediately, hook the backup bungee over the tank valve, and clip the primary off to a chest D-ring. Keeps them up off the bench. My wrist computer stays on my wrist - keeping track of surface interval. I do however put a neoprene cover on my HID light - more to make it visible to ther divers and cushion it somewhat.

On shore dives, everything just goes in on top of the tub.

Are you sure that the little covers that you saw aren't the type intended for deco regulators while diving? There are ones available for your high oxygen-content gas, the idea being that you don't mistakenly use a high PPO2 gas below it's maximum depth - putting the cover on the reg forces you to look and see what gas you're about to breath if you're a muppet and don't read the tank label. I haven't seen the type you are talking about, but I'm sure they exist as well.

One of the manufacturers recent had covers available. They seemed to be made of nylon and to me, therefore seemed rather useless.

I saw a neoprene water bottle cover, which had a drawstring pull, and thought that something like neoprene wouldl take a mild bounce and therefore a better material.

I usually store my regs in a reg bag between dives, but I usually put them on top of my BC and then place my fins on top of them to provide protection while transporting in my mesh bage while in the car.

When I get on the boat I put them on my tank and try to tuck them away safe so no one sits on them. Occasionally I'll see mine or someone else's not tucked away. Thought maybe the neoprene bag would keep them somewhat protected, but also thought it might be another thing to complicate matters.

My computer is wrist mounted.

I have a Delrin cap for my DIN reg, and SS plugs for my tanks.

When I gear up the first time, the plug comes out of the tank I intend to use, it is mated to the Delrin cap, and both are put in my bag. Neither can get wet internally (the plug has an O-ring in it)

The reg is then on the tank, and the BP/Wing is on the tank. The backup is over the tank valve, the primary clipped off on the chest strap on the right side.

After the first dive, I either immediately change the rig to the next tank (swapping the plug from the full to the empty tank in the process, thereby protecting it from getting wet internally and the reg from getting wet down the first strage) or wait until I am ready to gear up for the second to do so. Either way, the regs are protected against both bash/crunch damage and salt water intrusion, as are the tank valves.

On my boat I can snap the tank+rig into the tank rack; most boats have "set in" racks that permit this as a channel. If they don't then if forced to take the kit apart I will re-cap both the tank and regulator to prevent water from getting splashed in either.

If you stay concsious you can keep water from getting in there and keep your regs from being damaged as well.

On my own boat my mask and computer go in the (fresh water tap) sink between dives; on a dive boat the mask usually goes around my tank valve and the computer stays on my wrist.

I do very similar to Genesis...

uncap the tank valve and reg at the same time. Screw the male and female caps together and put them in the end pocket of the dive bag till I need em again to reverse the process...

Makes it much easier to keep track of 4 sets of the things on tek dives if I always do it the same way...

I dont have any special reg covers/bags. They get neatly coiled and put in the divebag between the wing/BC and wetsuit when not in use or hanging up at home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom