Question for the DM's & Instructors who dive DIR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blue Space

Contributor
Reaction score
Those of you who dive DIR and teach what do you teach in?

If you teach in the DIR gear config doesn't that go against what the Certification agencies want you to teach?

If you teach in <conventional> Gear (for a lack of a better term) doesn't that sound a little hypocritical to teach one style yet dive another?

This is not a troll...I would like to DM soon and was wondering how you guy's handle the situation...

Its just a question what does my level of training have to do with anything?

But if you must know I was OW cert in Feb 03 with 38 dives so far and starting my AOW on Saturday...

Isn't DIR first and foremost a stepping stone to tech diving that CAN be used in recreational diving?

I don't see anything hypocritical about not always applying DIR ideals to rec diving.

Brandon,

Most instructors teach through a dive shop. Not all, but most. Instructors who teach through a university often work in conjunction with a local dive shop. Instructors who are successful independents also often form a working arrangement with a dive shop.

Therefore, quite often the instructor teaches in equipment that the dive shop sells. If the dive shop carries Dive Rite, OMS, or Halcyon equipment, PADI, NAUI, or YMCA do not have specific rules against teaching using such equipment (to the best of my knowledge. A current instructor will no doubt confirm or correct that.)

Students frequently purchase gear they are familiar with and see being used. Therefore, instructors serve as significant influences in the equipment purchases of students.

Divemasters are frequently encouraged to follow the same guidelines.

If someone is teaching in DIR gear config doing a OOA drill...

The teacher is going to donate his primary and switch to his backup under his chin..(I will use Padi as a reference here since that is what I was taught)...Padi doesn't teach that way. They teach leave primary in mouth donate octo..

I'm not looking for right wrong here..One of the big factors of gear choices and config's IMO is safety..If I felt the long hose and bungee back up was a safer way of diving I don't know If I could teach any other way or vise versa...

My question was to the DM's and Instructors who dive DIR style config's but teach conventional and how they deal with the situation...

Brandon

Blue Space once bubbled...
Its just a question what does my level of training have to do with anything?

But if you must know I was OW cert in Feb 03 with 38 dives so far and starting my AOW on Saturday...
You just made a comment on another board, that you keep getting harrassed here!!!!
At least be willing to listen before you get jumped up!

I was simply asking the question because you were concerned about diving DIR in a "conventional" class.
My point was going to be.....

Dont worry about it too much at this point, once you learn the DIR philosophy, and understand the concepts, you will be able to incorporate some of the methodology into your classes without anyone even knowing your doing it!

Mgri.
DIR doesnt have to be realated to Tech diving in any way, shape or form. 2 Of my friends dive DIR and have NO aspirations of ever going "tech"

Shop Instructors wear what the shop sells. If the shop sells dir gear, than the instructor can wear it.

I good dive buddy of mine who teaches for SSI and switched his gear to DIR has set of free gear from the shop he works for to teach in. He doesn't wear it outside of the "classroom.

I know of two other DIR divers who are PADI and Naui instructors have decided to go independent. The dive there DIR gear and let the student choose by encouraging them to try several different sets and hose combinations.

The only "conflict" that I'm aware of between DIR gear and required instructor gear is the wearing of a snorkel. My Dir instructor friends use the snorkel to demonstrate and practice the required skills and then take it off to dive.

I help out with a lot of classes, mainly PADI classes and some TDI ones. I totally disagree with the way they do things but i help out anyway because i like the social aspect of it.

to answer the question, i dive in a DIR setup, so far instructors have had no problem with it, but i have been honest to them, i either dive that setup and help with the class or i will not do it at all. Heck i have even dove my doubles in an OW class and the instructor had no problem with it.

Aquamaniac once bubbled...
You just made a comment on another board, that you keep getting harassed here!!!!
At least be willing to listen before you get jumped up!

I was simply asking the question because you were concerned about diving DIR in a "conventional" class.
My point was going to be.....

Dont worry about it too much at this point, once you learn the DIR philosophy, and understand the concepts, you will be able to incorporate some of the methodology into your classes without anyone even knowing your doing it!

I should of made my original post more clear...Me and a dive buddy of mine where just talking about it the other night so I posted it to see what the DM's and Instructors thought. We where talking specifically about the gear not the skills or concept of DIR...

As far as being harassed here yup it happens to allot of people here on the board but there is some very good information here and some very nice people to...hence the reason I stay

Still my question has nothing to do with my dive training...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom