Question for folks diving doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbd

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
When you are diving from a small boat, how do you reboard the boat? Do you remove your gear in the water and have the boat crew lift it aboard or do you climb the ladder with the gear on?

a canoe, kayak, or small RIB and the like, I usually take off weights and and other gear before boarding. I leave mask, snorkel, and fins on and use the fins to help kick me up and onto the boat.

On slightly larger boats with a swim ladder, I'll usually still take of weights and twin set before climbing up the ladder.

The boat ladder has to be fairly substantial before I'll climb up in full doubles with one or more deco bottles.

I'll pass on the info to inquiring minds :)

How do you get into the water?

I just got doubles, but, I haven't gotten them wet yet. On my charter boat the SOP is to waddle to the back with fins on and giant stride into the water. W/ doubles does anyone jump in w/out their fins(making the walk on the rocking boat easier) and then put their fins on in the water?

As far as entry goes I walk to the gate and put my fins on there. When I was diving off my own boat I would step through the transom and put my fins on on the swim step while leaning on the rear of the boat. Geting back on board is done by removing my BC in the water and attaching it to a clasp hung from the rear side cleats. After the BC is hung I just toss my fins and mask into the rear of the boat.
Bill

I have never been on a boat that the crew said take off your doubles and we'll haul them up for you.
My personal feelings is that whatever you have with you on your dive you should be able to move freely and get in and out of the water without taking it off. If you cant walk or climb with it, how can you swim with it?
If you cant climb a ladder with doubles and slings, maybe you shouldnt be diving with that much stuff. Its almost as if your relying on someone else to get you out of the water and that is by far unacceptable.
I dove with olympus out of morehead city nc, about a month ago.
You jump in with your gear, you get back on with your gear. The mates assisted in removal of your fins once you were back on the deck. (Dove with doubles and slings, full tech kit.)

On a small boat Drew Sailbum hit it. Entry such as from zodiak back roll. On large boats, entry, New Jersey flop, exit, pass on the wieght belt and walk up the latter. With a dry suit giant stride does not work very well from a large boat.

gjmmotors once bubbled...
I have never been on a boat that the crew said take off your doubles and we'll haul them up for you.
My personal feelings is that whatever you have with you on your dive you should be able to move freely and get in and out of the water without taking it off. If you cant walk or climb with it, how can you swim with it?
If you cant climb a ladder with doubles and slings, maybe you shouldnt be diving with that much stuff. Its almost as if your relying on someone else to get you out of the water and that is by far unacceptable.
I dove with olympus out of morehead city nc, about a month ago.
You jump in with your gear, you get back on with your gear. The mates assisted in removal of your fins once you were back on the deck. (Dove with doubles and slings, full tech kit.)

I'd love to do my tech diving from our boats at work (where the ladders could support my weight in full kit), but I can't expect our customers doing recreational dives to wait an extra hour for me to complete deco and climb out of the water. So tech diving is an activity for my day off.

When I dive from my friends fishing boat, I wouldn't dare climb the ladder in full kit. The extra weight would break the tiny swim ladder.

But I don't expect anyone to lift my kit from the water. I tie the doubles off to a line and climb onboard. Then I lift the gear over the transom.

Of course some situatiions are different:

"When I dive from my friends fishing boat, I wouldn't dare climb the ladder in full kit. The extra weight would break the tiny swim ladder."

I bet if you smashed there ladder they might get a little mad and may not let you dive anymore off there boat.....

I dont have my own boat so I wouldnt go pissing off my ride out....
-g

Back
Top Bottom