padi course materials

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've bought several things off ebay and it all turned out well. A guy called myscuba has a good online source for study material.

Just a little curious. Why do you want to buy course materials from ebay? Is it that much cheaper than your ldc ?

My only reservation would be that you get the right stuff. There are several different crew paks available (IE;cd rom version, book + video, book only, book video recreational dive planner) There are also 2 versions of the RDP, be sure you know which your instructor intends to use in the course (of course knowing how to use them both is beneficial).

Most dive centers add all of the nessessary paperwork for the course (ie: student training record, log book, PIC card, etc).
The PIC cards are not included in the crew pak. You could find that later you need to pay the extra $14 for a pic card.

Personally I would support the ldc who is teaching me, unless they were really goudging me.

I guess it's kinda like buying brake pads from ebay just to save$8), then bringing them to your local mechanic, and asking him/her to intall them.
My mechanic has a sign on the wall that reads "Labor rates, with our parts $25 p/hr, with your parts $35 p/hr. Or course it's just a joke, but I can appreciate it.

I worked at a dive center that offered the OW class for $345 which included EVERYTHING, from class materials to rental gear. However that was a discounted package for people who bought their , m/s &fins there. A la Carte, the class was $395. The result, you have to save over $50 in order to make it worth it.

Might be a good idea to discuss this with your instructor.

the PADI open water videos on ebay and got a great deal. I paid
$5.00 plus $4.50 shipping for these two videos. They were brand new, never opened, still in the shrink wrap. I paid $35.00 for the crew pack excluding the videos at my lds. They were selling the videos seperate for another $30.00.

You might not save much.

I don't know how othe shops do it but when billing for a class we only charge our cost for the student materials (no markup at all). Before you buy you might find out if it saves anything when you take your class.

One other thing to consider is the copyrights to the material - you will be potentially putting yourself at risk if you are acquiring illegal copies of the material. I know that PADI takes that very seriously, and while it is not highly likely that you, as the consumer would be at much risk, you still would have some theoretical exposure if PADI went after your reseller. It's your own decision if that is worth saving twenty or thirty bucks.

~W

DivemasterWill once bubbled...
One other thing to consider is the copyrights to the material - you will be potentially putting yourself at risk if you are acquiring illegal copies of the material. I know that PADI takes that very seriously, and while it is not highly likely that you, as the consumer would be at much risk, you still would have some theoretical exposure if PADI went after your reseller. It's your own decision if that is worth saving twenty or thirty bucks.

~W

If the materials are genuine, and are not stolen, I don't see an issue here.

I agree that copies being sold would be a violation.

thanks for your responses. things are tight for me at the moment. i am in nyc. my lds, wants 349 for the course and pool session. than i have to pay another 200$s for open water dives(which are not local). on top of that buying some gear. 800-1000 bucks seems a bit steep for someone to just get there feet wet, in a sport.

do you guys see this sport, ever becoming more affortable. i have trouble getting my friends into the sport, for this same reason.

thanks for your responses...

joshua

My 14 yr old son just did his OW class, including the ocean dives for $250 plus buying personal gear, for a total of $650 or so.

I agree it is costly at first, but I can assure you that once you own the gear, it gets incredibly cheap to dive...($3 to $5 for a tank full of air...)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom