How to measure wetsuit size...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daaniel92

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello!
I am currently looking for my first wetsuit. It would normally be no problem to find one myself, but as i have limited resources, I want to buy used, as i think that is the cheapest way to get OK gear.
Now to the question! Because I migth not be able to try the suit before i buy it, it would be nice to know how i can take measurings of my length, width of legs and so on, and knowing that I will get a suits that fits me OK.
All kinds of advice is recieved with pleasure:)
If this thread is inept, please give me a PM!
Thank you in advance:)

Thanks! That looks perfect:)

You got some good direction from fnfalman, however, wetsuit sizing not only varies from one manufacturer to another, but even within one brand, sizes may vary from one model to another, one thickness to another, etc. It is really maddening trying to get one online and have it fit the first time. If you get a lead on a suit that you think might fit, get the brand and model name and go to that manufacturer's website and look at their own sizing charts. Best of luck to you!

Thanks, i see...
the best thing would probably be to test the suit IRL before i buy it, but there is no shops close to me that lets you do that! The only shop I can find, that i migth be able to get to, only has high-end and more expensive gear...
Thanks for the notes, I can see I have to concider alot of things pretty closely...

One more thing to consider, since you mentioned used gear, is that wetsuits actually shrink over time. For example I have one suit in my rental rack that was originally mine and a xxl, that I now consider to be a size L

Hm, wow... guess i should have the seller measure the different parts of the suit... New gear migth be the best, haha!

The ONLY sure fire way is to try the suit on. Even made to measurement suits can miss. If your're not careful the expense of shipping stuff will eat up any savings.

Neoprene gear is an area where use does diminish performance. Couple that with a less than good fit and you're wasting money and turning yourself off to diving.

You can find real value in used tanks, weights, regulators and BCs.

Pete

Well, i was kinda afraid of that.
I'm not going to buy other kinds of equipment, exept a divers flag, perhaps a knife and a new catch net...
I mainly freedive, but Greece in the easter and Norway in the summer requires a good 5mm suit...
Edit: gonna buy a speargun too...

Last edited:
I have two full suits. One is XL and one is Medium. Both fit perfectly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom