Paper Logs v Computer Logs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dash_Riprock

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Of those of you that are loggers, do you prefer Paper logbook entries, or a computer program? If a computer program, is it one that is proprietary to your dive computer, or is it an independent piece of software. Is printer support versatile?

I’m currently using the Sherwood Wisdom computer. Sherwood promises a software release by the end of August. I’m undecided as to wait for this “new” untested piece of software. Also, thinking a bit further down the road. If I should change computers, I don’t know that the Sherwood software would work with the new computer.

I’m currently testing out a program by a company called ‘Immersions’. It seems to have most of the functions I’d like to see included. But it’s a little clumsy and the printer support is awful. It’s also got an Internet file-sharing thing that I don’t like. I don’t care for it. I need options.

Thanks for all opinions…….Al

I have been using Sharkpoint By dream dives it's ok but it could be better. you can see it at www.dreamdives.com
Rob

Dash_Riprock once bubbled...
Of those of you that are loggers, do you prefer Paper logbook entries, or a computer program?
I don't bother dragging along a notebook computer while on trips. Paper has the advantage of being convenient for jotting down quick notes --- what sort of marine life, was the site a good one or not, name and phone number of dive operators and other divers, departure/return times, and any other items you want to remember. I'll also jot down tank start/end psi. Depths and times I'll probably add later. Sometimes I'll just jot some notes into a waterproof notebook, then fill out the rest of the log while sitting around after lunch or dinner.

I do extract some key info and have a 2 page dive log summary in Word. A 10 day 20 dive trip may be just 2 lines. I use it mostly to figure out when I was last to a particular destination or used a certain operator, so I can find the details in my paper logs.

The first question you should be asking yourself is "Why am I keeping a log?"

I use a Suunto Vyper computer, and use their Dive Manager software as a logging system.

Its not perfect, but suits my needs.

The interesting thing is that instructors seem to want to sign stuff, so they may "push" you to use a paper log. In those time when I'm pushed, I print out a copy of the dive my computer says I did and present the paper for their sig.

Oh well.

scubasean once bubbled...
I use a Suunto Vyper computer, and use their Dive Manager software as a logging system.

Its not perfect, but suits my needs.

The interesting thing is that instructors seem to want to sign stuff, so they may "push" you to use a paper log. In those time when I'm pushed, I print out a copy of the dive my computer says I did and present the paper for their sig.

Oh well.

Don't dive with idiot instructors that insist on signing your log (other than during your initial OW class).

I use a paper divelog to keep track of my dive info for my DiveCon and (farther down the line) instructor requirements. Dive operators up here give me less grief when they see the 100+ logged dives on my card as well (SSI updates that).

I don't take the laptop to the divesite with me, but I do take it to the hotel rooms and update my dive logs on it every night. I do printouts when I get home. I download off my VyTec to the Suunto Dive Manager Software. The print-outs serve to keep dive operators in places like Tobermory happy that I have their required 10 logged dives below 100 ft in water under 50 degrees to dive their best wrecks. The one operator won't take you out to the Arabia and Forest City without that.

The print-outs also serve to show OW classes (when I am assisting) what an actual dive looks like (vice the square dive that we show on tables) and about nitrogen loading. We can even use it as a lesson in theoretical slow/fast tissue nitrogen saturation if someone brings a laptop in real life situations.

In my dive log there are sketches, notes, beer labels, facility stamps, restaurant receipts, etc, in addition to my weighting chart, phone numbers of both people & places, tank comparisons for gas management, graphs, tables... nits & nats, odds & ends.
I do occasionally download a dive into the computer if I want to examine the profile in detail for some reason, but my general logging desires are better served with a paper logbook.
Rick

I'll always have a very thorough paper logbook. But I also use the same Immersions Internet Dive Log. I was one of the beta testers for it years ago. It's one of the easiest and most complete that I've used. I can download my Citizen watch into it but they haven't added Oceanic computers...yes.

The biggest advantage to online log books is if you ever lose your paper logbook or it gets destroyed in some way, your dives can simply be printed out off IDL's site.

Some may think it's redundant and a PITA to keep both consider it as a logbook backup.

All depends on how you look at it!:wink:

have their log book signed by the guide...even getting all upset if they forget their logbook, so I have to make a dive profile on 8X11 paper, sign it so they can staple it to their log book! To tell the truth, I sign my name & instructor number so often I've sometimes inadvertantly signed checks, letters to my family, etc with my instructor number.
Personally, I just put the dive info on a slate & add it to a Microsoft Word document when I get home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom