Some issues I've noticed after some heavy local diving (Some suggestions/venting)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Falcon99

Reaction score
Hello all. With about 30 dives to my name, I'm not as 'qualified' to vent on some issues as compared to others, but after this weekend, I just HAD to mention a couple of things to the 'community'.

Each Sunday, my dive partner and I hit a popular, local lake to escape the world and expand our diving skills a little. We work very well together and are VERY serious about safety and courtesy issues. I can't begin to describe how nice it is to dive with a partner you 'click' well with.

Each weekend, there are anywhere from 15 to 40 students doing OW. Add to that a small number of rec divers like ourselves, taking a Sunday to simply dive.

This weekend, I had to deal with two behavour "issues" on an uncomfortably repeated basis (every weekend and several times on this occasion) - enough to motivate this post.

Instructors: Don't take this as me telling you how to do your job, but from those of us not in your class and trying to enjoy a weekend without injury, could you PLEASE give a "courtesy brief" to your students on things like a) PLEASE don't linger 5 inches from the entry point between every OW dive, and b) it is very rude and sometimes unsafe to smoke ten feet upwind from divers in surface interval/ on entry.

The entry is rather dangerous at this lake. It is jagged granite rock with patches of slippery algae all the way down. I had to repeatedly (politely) ask students to "make a hole". I wasn't trying to be rude, but trying to remind them that it is dangerous to do that here. I have 50 lbs+ of equipment, fins in-hand, and am trying to navigate to the water without killing myself on the algae covered entry.

I'm sorry, instructors, but given the choice between a) landing face first in jagged granite under 6 inches of water and b) landing on one of your students hanging out next to the step off - your student is going to lose. Inertia will be given to the student. :(

Second... There were two divers who surfaced every ten minutes to smoke like chimneys. They had a little bit of an attitude to boot, so we didn't see a constructive way to say something. We simply tried to stay clear of the smoke, but it was difficult because they were ten feet away and upwind. That was the LAST time I intend to taste tobacco reminants at 40 feet.

Again, PLEASE, make an attempt to think about your surroundings and what affect your behavour has on others and most important, their safety. This experience annoyed both my partner and I enough to talk about it afterwards at the cars. I will attempt to politely talk to the head instructor this week.

Again, I'm sorry to be a newby stepping all over the garden of experience, but I just had to comment about it - and maybe see what others thought(?)

James

I agree with your observations/suggestions. My instructor gave us a brief courtesy talk; clear the entry/exit point, watch where you're going while swimming on your back, etc. It'd be a good, simple thing to do, and probably help new OW students (hopefully without overloading with more info while trying to figure out the whole diving thing)

Hello !!

I dont see what there is to be sorry about ....

I think your points are valid.

The instructors should be monitoring their group to
be curtious and out of the way of fellow divers.

Yes, I would talk w/ the head instructor and bounce a few
ideas on improving the situation with out being confrontational.

( I think I spelled that right. )

When I am teaching in a group I always remind the students to
be kind and conciderate to the other divers.

good luck... bob

I was going to type a lengthy reply, I do see your points and agree with most, Instructors should definetley teach students about site courtisies, but as a smoker I'm afraid I might anger some people with my thought on smoking OUTSIDE.

Why should an instructor say anything to students about smoking? Just because some yahoo gripes about people smoking outside doesnt mean theres anything wrong with it.

Next youll want instructors to teach their students table manners.

scubacowboy once bubbled...
I was going to type a lengthy reply, I do see your points and agree with most, Instructors should definetley teach students about site courtisies, but as a smoker I'm afraid I might anger some people with my thought on smoking OUTSIDE.

At first glance, some people might not see any problem with smoking outside. But here are some ideas for second thoughts:

1. The typical diver is more aware of their bodies and what goes into them, than the average person. While some choose to smoke, many (including smokers) acknowledge that smoking before, during or for several hours after SCUBA diving places them at an increased risk for DCI, and so refrain from smoking.
2. I dive on occasion with a partner who is hyper sensitive (allergic) to cigarette smoke. Smoking near her (close enough were she can smell the 2nd hand smoke) can, and sometimes does end her day of diving due to breathing distress brought on by the addiction of another person. There have been occasions where a trip to the hospital was required.
3. We have to breathe, you don't have to smoke.
4. There is a reason why in many places outdoors such as professional baseball stadiums (smoking in designated areas only), or at the university were smoking within 10 feet of a door or air intake vent is prohibited. Your state may be as progressive as California, but that is how it is here.
5. There is ample medical evidence that 2nd hand smoke is dangerous. I agree you have a right to smoke, or to listen to any music you like, at any volume you like. But that right ends where my nose or ears start. I also have the right to enjoy the great outdoors with out smelling someone’s offensive addiction that has been clearly proven to cause cancer.
6. In the original post, it is clear that the area in question is crowded. The smokers should move themselves (as they are the one taking an affirmative action to smoke) downwind. Finally, does anyone really need to surface and grab a smoke during the dive?

My dad smoked. Quit as they wheeled him into surgery to remove most of one lung. I buried him two years later. Cigarettes did not kill him; it was the cancer that did it, slowly and very painfully.

Being an ex-smoker, I abhor the way smokers defend their right to smoke where they fell like it.

Just because you can do something doesn't mean you shouldn't take into considerations how it affects others.

I could cuss like a sailor around kids in public but I try not to because its not appreciated and its rude.

Come on smokers, show some common courtesy to those who choose not to smoke.

Had I been 10 ft downwind from someone smoking on the surface a polite "could you not smoke up wind from me" would have been tried, if that was ignored I think a tsunami wave would have been in order:upset:

mgri once bubbled...
Had I been 10 ft downwind from someone smoking on the surface a polite "could you not smoke up wind from me" would have been tried, if that was ignored I think a tsunami wave would have been in order:upset:

You can use a fin to really get a tsunami going............:devious:

Personally I'm just amazed that divers would decide to flaunt their self-destructive habits during a dive.

FreeFloat once bubbled...

You can use a fin to really get a tsunami going............:devious:

Very nice... I'll have to remember that.

Smokers that dont show any respect don't deserve any. I used to give them the benefit of the doubt, but frankly you'd have to be an absolute moron to not know your smoke is negatively affecting people around you. They have no rights whatsoever to impose that stinking crap on anyone. Tell them were to go or follow them around on the next dive and silt the hell out of them. Then when they come up after the dive and give you hell, you'll have justification to really lay into them.

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom