diving from an inflatable boat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, my questions are regarding the techniques and the best ways and safe to approach diving from an inflatable boat.
First is which is the best way to get back in the boat and second which is better or easier,
to anchor the boat and fight the current or to use the boat as a buoy for the dive flag and and let it float along with the current .

Paul

Hi, my questions are regarding the techniques and the best ways and safe to approach diving from an inflatable boat.
First is which is the best way to get back in the boat and second which is better or easier,
to anchor the boat and fight the current or to use the boat as a buoy for the dive flag and and let it float along with the current .

Paul

"Inflatable boat" still leaves a lot of ambiguity...

Are we talking...

Zodiac-Dive-Boat.jpg

...or are we talking...

inflatable-424.jpg

Also, are you going to have someone ON the boat while you're diving?

Or you talking;

drug-runner-rib.jpg

Lots easier to re enter the inflatable with a crew man to assist you!

We did several of our rescue exorcises from a Zodiac style boat. Heck of a lot of fun, but can't imagine trying w/o an assist. Suppose, doffing gear, clipping it off while you enter the boat, and then recovering it would work, tho. where there's the will, there's a way.

Then there's an "inflabatable", like the one on the old Larry's Wild Side dives on Bonaire, where there was a section of the inflatable wall that could be removed, to make recovering divers a snap!

I'm going to assume that the OP was asking about a small inflatable boat that looks similar to the second picture posted by RJP.

With regard to your first question, I'll usually place my weight pockets or weight belt into the boat...or hand them to someone already back in the boat. Then I'll doff my bcd (inflated) in the water and tie/clip it off to a line reserved for that purpose. Without a BCD, tank, and weights, it's pretty easy to kick yourself up high enough to get back in the boat. Once I'm back aboard, I'll reach over and pull up my BCD/tank.

Here in SoCal we'll either anchor the boat or tie into a mooring buoy. I don't think that drifting along with no one manning the boat topside is a great idea. I also don't think that leaving a boat unattended where currents are present is a good idea. Perhaps others can address this issue.

I dove out of a 20 ft inflatable for years... love them.

We never had anyone to assist us.

Typical method was to hang attachment hooks off the boat for your gear.

Inflate the vest, remove and attach to the hook... make sure it is a very secure attachment.

Then, dip down, swim up (usually pulling on the lines on the top and flop onto the air chambers..turn sideways and you are on the boat.

Remove fins, pull gear into boat.

In several thousand dives, don't every remember anyone who could not do it once they got the timing.

We use a 18' Achillies with a 65 horse engine. Always anchored, gear on in the boat, roll back entry, gear off in the water, big kick back in to the boat. One person in the boat other in water handing gear up. The first few times getting in is tough, but once you get the hang of it it`s easy.

I'm going to assume that the OP was asking about a small inflatable boat that looks similar to the second picture posted by RJP.

With regard to your first question, I'll usually place my weight pockets or weight belt into the boat...or hand them to someone already back in the boat. Then I'll doff my bcd (inflated) in the water and tie/clip it off to a line reserved for that purpose. Without a BCD, tank, and weights, it's pretty easy to kick yourself up high enough to get back in the boat. Once I'm back aboard, I'll reach over and pull up my BCD/tank.

Here in SoCal we'll either anchor the boat or tie into a mooring buoy. I don't think that drifting along with no one manning the boat topside is a great idea. I also don't think that leaving a boat unattended where currents are present is a good idea. Perhaps others can address this issue.

I can tell you what leaving your inflatable anchored in current can get you... a 5 mile swim to shore over night...did not enjoy that at all.

I'm for treating it like any other boat... where having someone on board, unless it is a silly easy, and safe place.. is the best practice.

I have, however done anchor dives, with a reel, where the reel is attached to the boat anchor... so there is always a connection to the boat.

As wind can effect inflatables much more than heavier boats, one needs to be concerned about that also.

I can tell you what leaving your inflatable anchored in current can get you... a 5 mile swim to shore over night...did not enjoy that at all.

I'm for treating it like any other boat... where having someone on board, unless it is a silly easy, and safe place.. is the best practice.

I have, however done anchor dives, with a reel, where the reel is attached to the boat anchor... so there is always a connection to the boat.

As wind can effect inflatables much more than heavier boats, one needs to be concerned about that also.

Descend in Cozumel, ascend in Belize? Could be interesting indeed! :shakehead:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom